Have an account?
Suggestions for you See more
Nature of Academic Texts
Past tense and past perfect tense, 31.3k plays, parts of a paragraph, 3rd - 5th , cohesive devices.
Introducing new Paper mode
No student devices needed. Know more
Every type of writing has a goal.
Technical writing is intended to communicate to a specific ______________, for a specific ______________.
Concise, clear and _________ are the key components of an effective technical writing.
Limit paragraph, words and sentence length
The importance of correct grammar and mechanics
Avoiding vague, obscure and/or connotative words
Limit and/or define use of abbreviations, acronyms, and jargon
The information provided must be what the users are looking for.
The grammatical structure of your technical document should be free from any kind of ambiguities.
Readers use these documents to learn how to perform certain tasks or gain technical information, so they should be easy to follow and organized in a way that’s easy to refer back to as questions come up.
cause and effect
What is the primary goal in technical writing?
What sets technical writing apart from other types of writing?
Its primary goal is to tell a story.
Its primary goal is to present an argument.
Its primary goal is to demonstrate critical thinking.
Its primary goal is to instruct others.
written communication that delivers technical information, often in the form of instructions.
the intended readers, viewers, or listeners of a message.
a set of documents that act as guides or references outlining the functioning of a program
the intention behind the message
It’s okay to use idioms, slang, or colloquial as long as you know that your audience would understand them.
It’s important to stick to the facts and to write in a straightforward manner.
You can make use of various figures of speech and various formats –prose, poetry, and others – to get your message across.
A good report
uses difficult language
is short, precise, concise
contains irrelevant factors and information
presents information that is not well organized
Explore all questions with a free account
Continue with email
Continue with phone
- Create A Quiz
- Harry Potter
- Online Exam
- Training Maker
- Survey Maker
- Brain Games
Technical Writing Quizzes, Questions & Answers
Top trending quizzes.
- Which one is not an attribute of a well constructed paragraph? a. A topic sentence to introduce the paragraph b. well-structured sentences of moderate length c. careful use of highlighting d. Lots of lists
- Choose the correct answer. What style is most effective for all technical writing? a. Simple and direct b. One that uses professional jargon
- True or false. To help keep sentences clear, easy to understand, the writer should keep nouns and verbs close together. a. True b. False
- Determining your purpose means defining... a. who you are as author b. why you are writing c. what you want to achieve d. b and c e. all of the above
- To write direct, easy to understand sentences, technical writers should do all but which one of the following? a. Use Active Voice for clarity. b. Avoid excessive use of is/are verb forms. c. Avoid using ponderous language. d. Use complex terminology.
- In choosing the appropriate writing style for a particular reader, all but which one of the following applies? a. You must ensure its appropriateness to your position in the organization b. You must be an expert about your subject c. You must define the context in which you are writing d. Know your readers' positions and responsibilities in the organization
- True or false. Even in complex, highly technical reports, readers value conciseness. a. True b. False
- Which statement is not true concerning technical writing within organizations? a. Many professional societies have 'style sheets,' which provide standards for all reports and articles published in that discipline. b. Many organizations customize their own templates. c. There is only one correct format for technical forms and reports. d. Many organizations have their own style guide.
- True or False: At work, your readers will read your whole document, from start to finish. a. True b. False
- True or False: Sometimes a secondary, rather than a primary, reader will act on what you write. a. True b. False
- Which of the following is not a purpose for writing a document? a. to inform b. to persuade c. to document d. all of the above are reasons for writing