Have a language expert improve your writing
Check your paper for plagiarism in 10 minutes, generate your apa citations for free.
- Knowledge Base
- College essay
How to Write About Yourself in a College Essay | Examples
Published on September 21, 2021 by Kirsten Courault . Revised on May 31, 2023.
An insightful college admissions essay requires deep self-reflection, authenticity, and a balance between confidence and vulnerability. Your essay shouldn’t just be a resume of your experiences; colleges are looking for a story that demonstrates your most important values and qualities.
To write about your achievements and qualities without sounding arrogant, use specific stories to illustrate them. You can also write about challenges you’ve faced or mistakes you’ve made to show vulnerability and personal growth.
Table of contents
Start with self-reflection, how to write about challenges and mistakes, how to write about your achievements and qualities, how to write about a cliché experience, other interesting articles, frequently asked questions about college application essays.
Before you start writing, spend some time reflecting to identify your values and qualities. You should do a comprehensive brainstorming session, but here are a few questions to get you started:
- What are three words your friends or family would use to describe you, and why would they choose them?
- Whom do you admire most and why?
- What are the top five things you are thankful for?
- What has inspired your hobbies or future goals?
- What are you most proud of? Ashamed of?
As you self-reflect, consider how your values and goals reflect your prospective university’s program and culture, and brainstorm stories that demonstrate the fit between the two.
Prevent plagiarism. Run a free check.
Writing about difficult experiences can be an effective way to show authenticity and create an emotional connection to the reader, but choose carefully which details to share, and aim to demonstrate how the experience helped you learn and grow.
It’s not necessary to have a tragic story or a huge confession. But you should openly share your thoughts, feelings, and experiences to evoke an emotional response from the reader. Even a cliché or mundane topic can be made interesting with honest reflection. This honesty is a preface to self-reflection and insight in the essay’s conclusion.
With difficult topics, you shouldn’t focus too much on negative aspects. Instead, use your challenging circumstances as a brief introduction to how you responded positively.
Share what you have learned
It’s okay to include your failure or mistakes in your essay if you include a lesson learned. After telling a descriptive, honest story, you should explain what you learned and how you applied it to your life.
While it’s good to sell your strengths, you also don’t want to come across as arrogant. Instead of just stating your extracurricular activities, achievements, or personal qualities, aim to discreetly incorporate them into your story.
Mention your extracurricular activities or awards in passing, not outright, to avoid sounding like you’re bragging from a resume.
Use stories to prove your qualities
Even if you don’t have any impressive academic achievements or extracurriculars, you can still demonstrate your academic or personal character. But you should use personal examples to provide proof. In other words, show evidence of your character instead of just telling.
Many high school students write about common topics such as sports, volunteer work, or their family. Your essay topic doesn’t have to be groundbreaking, but do try to include unexpected personal details and your authentic voice to make your essay stand out .
To find an original angle, try these techniques:
- Focus on a specific moment, and describe the scene using your five senses.
- Mention objects that have special significance to you.
- Instead of following a common story arc, include a surprising twist or insight.
Your unique voice can shed new perspective on a common human experience while also revealing your personality. When read out loud, the essay should sound like you are talking.
If you want to know more about academic writing , effective communication , or parts of speech , make sure to check out some of our other articles with explanations and examples.
- Writing process
- Transition words
- Passive voice
- How to end an email
- Ms, mrs, miss
- How to start an email
- I hope this email finds you well
- Hope you are doing well
Parts of speech
- Personal pronouns
First, spend time reflecting on your core values and character . You can start with these questions:
However, you should do a comprehensive brainstorming session to fully understand your values. Also consider how your values and goals match your prospective university’s program and culture. Then, brainstorm stories that illustrate the fit between the two.
When writing about yourself , including difficult experiences or failures can be a great way to show vulnerability and authenticity, but be careful not to overshare, and focus on showing how you matured from the experience.
Through specific stories, you can weave your achievements and qualities into your essay so that it doesn’t seem like you’re bragging from a resume.
Include specific, personal details and use your authentic voice to shed a new perspective on a common human experience.
Cite this Scribbr article
If you want to cite this source, you can copy and paste the citation or click the “Cite this Scribbr article” button to automatically add the citation to our free Citation Generator.
Courault, K. (2023, May 31). How to Write About Yourself in a College Essay | Examples. Scribbr. Retrieved November 3, 2023, from https://www.scribbr.com/college-essay/write-about-yourself/
Is this article helpful?
Other students also liked, style and tone tips for your college essay | examples, what do colleges look for in an essay | examples & tips, how to make your college essay stand out | tips & examples.
- Applying For Scholarships
How to Write a College Essay About Yourself
David Sep 30, 2020
Get our best scholarship practices, insights & tips delivered to your inbox
Thank you for subscribing!
The scholarship you’re applying to requires that you write an essay about yourself. Easy peasy, how hard could it be? After all, you’ve been living with yourself for the last 17+ years! You know yourself better than anybody. You open your computer to start typing but your mind goes blank. Everything that you know about yourself suddenly seems unworthy of a $5,000 scholarship.
What in the world can you write about that will spark enough interest in the scholarship committee? Before you start panicking, check out our step-by-step guide on how to write a college essay about yourself.
Step 1: Brainstorm
The first way to tackle any scholarship essay prompt is to start with some thinking. We highly suggest that you take time before starting to write to brainstorm the essay prompt. This will not only get your creativity flowing, but your essay will be more organized and cohesive.
To start brainstorming, sit down in a quiet space with a pen and paper. Think about your background, your family life, your family’s financial state, your academic history, your childhood, your education, sports you play, and anything else about yourself that makes you who you are. If you’re stuck, strike up a conversation with your parents or friends about yourself to get you rolling. Jot notes about yourself down on the paper.
The fastest path to earning scholarships
Simplify and focus your application process with the one-stop platform for vetted scholarships.
Now, it’s time to take the facts you’ve written about yourself and dig deeper. The goal of your scholarship essay is to tell a story about yourself that will convince the scholarship committee that you deserve to win. How can you turn facts about yourself into a compelling story? What information can you provide about yourself that will broadcast your character?
It helps to think about who your audience is. To do this, get to know the scholarship organization better! Visit their website and read their ‘about’ section. What do they stand for? What kind of students do they award?
Your audience might be interested in how much you studied to get your 3.8 GPA. Your GPA and test scores may have helped get you into college, but they might not be enough to win you scholarship money. Thousands of students have near to perfect GPAs, and writing about it can be a bit dry.
Your audience wants to read about the challenges you’ve faced along the way or meaningful experiences you’ve had. Did you have to watch a younger sibling every day after school because your parents were at work? Have you experienced mental health challenges or learning disabilities that have made studying hard for you? How did you decide that you wanted to study business in college? This is what we mean when we say to dig deep. Go past the surface level. Talk about the experiences you have had that have gotten you to where you are today.
Step 2: What to Include in an Essay About Yourself
A scholarship essay about yourself is obviously very broad. You can take your essay in many directions. Remember, you want to provide information about yourself that makes your essay worth reading. Including facts about yourself in your essay is fine. But, you better be seasoning those facts with a lot of flavors.
Here are some ideas to include in your essay.
Topics You Can Address in Your Essay
There are plenty of ways you can talk about yourself in your essay. Remember, your essay must focus on yourself and your personal experiences in life. You can choose one or two of the following topics as the basis of your essay.
- Experiences that have inspired your degree choice.
- Challenges you’ve faced that have impacted your life and education.
- Unique hobbies you have or the sports you play.
- How you’ve changed over the years.
- Your experiences in school.
- Professional goals you have for the future.
- Your achievements.
- Special relationships that have inspired you. If you choose this topic, remember the essay still needs to focus on you.
The topic you choose to write about should be one that you can connect back to your education or career goals. If it didn’t impact your education or career in some way, it’s likely not relevant for the scholarship.
Remember, you need to talk about the why and the how. For example, why are you pursuing a degree in law? Why did you choose this degree path? How will a law degree help you in your future? How have past experiences led you to dream of becoming a lawyer?
Step 3: Sketch an Outline
Now that you have an idea of what you’ll write about it, it’s time to get organized. Creating an outline is your final step before starting to write. Choose one or two of the topics we suggested and start breaking down what you’ll write about in each paragraph. Your essay should consist of an introduction, 3-5 body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
Check out our tips on what you should and shouldn’t include in your essay:
- Impress from the start of your essay.
- Place yourself in the reader’s shoes. Do you show enough of your personality in your essay? Do you convince the reader that you deserve to win?
- Do your research and learn about the organization. Try and connect yourself to their initiatives. Do you have a hobby or goal that matches the organization? What can you bring to the organization?
- Only include relevant information. If something seems unnecessary or out of place, it probably is.
- Write in the first person, this is about you after all.
- Give specific examples. Don’t say you struggled during freshman year, instead, show what that struggle looked like.
- Show off your strengths and achievements.
- Make your essay interesting! If it doesn’t captivate your audience from the start, it’s not good enough.
- Proofread and edit your essay. Those little spelling mistakes can cost you the scholarship. They are distracting and they don’t do a good job at convincing the reader that you’re professional. Everybody makes mistakes but it’s on you to check your work before submitting.
- Use the correct format .
- Write about academic weaknesses in your transcripts. This is your chance to take responsibility for the ‘D’ you received during freshman year algebra. You might write about your struggles with algebra and how you were motivated to improve by getting a tutor. Definitely do not play the victim card by blaming a teacher!
- Making mistakes is human! Write about what you learned from your mistakes and how they have made you stronger.
- Be authentic- write how you speak (of course, with correct grammar). Trying to impress with big words from the thesaurus isn’t as impressive as you think.
- Follow the essay instructions! You can write the best essay but if you don’t follow instructions, you risk being disqualified.
- Lie- Making up stories to win over the scholarship judges isn’t going to win over anybody! Lies scream inauthenticity. Trust us, it’s obvious when students lie and scholarship judges aren’t impressed.
- Brag- If you think that bragging about your 4.0 GPA is going to win you scholarship money, you’re wrong. Show off your confidence in a way that doesn’t come across as overbearing and arrogant.
- Use the essay as an opportunity to divulge your deepest darkest family secrets. This is not the place to cry your heart out or disclose personal information.
- Be vague about your professional goals. What sounds better, awarding a student with clearly defined goals or a student who doesn’t know what they want to do in life?
- Repeat the same information over and over again. You will have your readers yawning!
- Use cliches. Cliches are overused! Be bold and different.
Step 4: How to Start an Essay About Yourself
As with all scholarship essays, your essay about yourself should captivate readers from the very beginning. Start your essay with a creative introduction that will make the readers want to continue reading your essay. You may choose to start with a personal story or experience.
Avoid using cliches such as “from a young age” or “for as long as I can remember.” Also, avoid using quotes. These are other peoples’ words, not your own.
At the end of your introduction paragraph, you should have a thesis statement that makes it clear to the reader why you are applying for the scholarship. They should be able to taste your enthusiasm and understand your motivation for applying.
How to Start an Essay About Yourself Example
When it comes to my passion for teaching others, you might say I wasn’t given much of a choice in life. As the older sister of four, it was my responsibility to lead the way and teach my two younger brothers and sister. At least, I assumed that responsibility. I helped them with everything from school projects to packing for camp in the summer. It’s no surprise to me that years later, I have chosen to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Education at the University of Texas in the fall. With this scholarship, I will be able to pursue my degree in education and return to my hometown to teach in a local elementary school after graduating.
Step 5: What to Include in Your Body Paragraphs
Your body paragraphs are the meat of your scholarship essay. This is where the scholarship readers really get to know you. Your body paragraphs should each contain an argument with supporting details and examples.
Your job in these paragraphs is to bring your personality out as much as possible. You also want to connect your arguments with your educational and career goals, and of course, to the scholarship you’re applying for. Make sure you relay to the reader how the scholarship will help you fulfill your goals.
How to Write a College Essay About Yourself Body Paragraphs Example
My role as a teacher to my little brothers and sister was only the start of it. As soon as I was of appropriate age, I started babysitting my neighbors on the weekends to earn extra money. Sure, that meant sacrificing my weekend nights with friends, but I was able to save up quite a lot of money from my Friday night and Saturday night gigs. For me, it was never only about the money. I loved spending time with the little kids. I would come up with fun activities to do with them, like “restaurant night,” where we would create menus and whip up ice cream sundaes in the kitchen.
By high school, it was clear to me that I wanted to be a teacher. I took several classes in high school that confirmed this dream of mine. I particularly enjoyed my early childhood education class where I learned theories in childhood development, classroom management techniques, and about developing curriculum. I even started to write up my own curriculum and made my younger siblings be in “school,” with me as their teacher. I don’t think they were too happy about all those extra hours of school…
Over the last year, I completed an internship as a teacher’s assistant. Every Tuesday and Thursday I spent half the day working with a 3rd-grade teacher at the local elementary school. I learned so much from this experience, like how to manage behavior problems and how to encourage shy students to participate in lessons. I can’t wait to come back to my hometown and work as a teacher after college.
Step 6: How to End an Essay About Yourself
By the time you get to writing your concluding paragraph, you may feel an urge to finish up your essay quickly. But, your concluding paragraph is also important in making that final last impression. Don’t rush through it.
Your concluding paragraph should wrap up your essay while giving an overview of the main points of your essay. You should do the following in your concluding sentence:
- Restate your thesis in other words.
- Give an overview of the arguments you made in your body paragraphs.
- End your concluding paragraph with a big thought related to your future.
How to End an Essay About Yourself Example
You might say that my upbringing made me who I am today, but I think it’s a lot more than that. I wouldn’t have the confidence I have today in myself and in my future goals if it weren’t for my studies and jobs throughout high school. I am so excited to start my degree at the University of Texas and keep developing the tools and skills I need to become the best teacher I can be.
Step 7: The full Example of How to Write a College Essay About Yourself
Now that you have learned how to write a solid introduction, conclusion, and body paragraphs, it’s time to put it all together. Here is the full example:
The “Tell Us About Yourself” scholarship essay prompt might feel frustrating. It can feel intimidating but it’s really not so bad once you know how to tackle it.
Use these tips and you’ll be good to go. Time to start writing!
- essay applications
- scholarship applications
- Scholarship Essay
- writing scholarship
- writing tips
David Tabachnikov is the CEO of ScholarshipOwl. Formerly at Waze and Google, David is an experienced CTO/R&D manager with over 10 years of experience of leading tech teams. David fervently believes that students should have greater access to education, and is passionate about using technology to help them achieve that goal.
Related Stories View All
Common FAFSA Mistakes to Avoid
What Is a Presidential Scholarship?
Get started with scholarshipowl.
Simplify and focus your application process with the one-stop platform for vetted scholarships
Essays About Discovering Yourself: Top 5 Examples
Discover our top examples on essays about discovering yourself, plus prompts to guide you in writing your next essay.
Self-discovery is both a daunting and fantastic journey. Each person has a unique path to take. Reflecting on who you were, are, and will be is a lifelong adventure that includes constant self-examination. Because of self-discovery, we learn more about ourselves and become more in control of our decisions and wants in life.
A deep connection with our inner selves is critical to living an accomplished life. It’s an essential factor for us to thrive without overthinking the hurdles that will continuously challenge us along the way. Discovering yourself doesn’t only benefit you. It also helps you cultivate healthy relationships with other people and the community.
To write a powerful self-discovery essay, read through our examples below.
1. My Journey Of Self Discovery by Anonymous on Samplius.com
2. discovering myself by claire van de weghe, 3. answering the question of “who i am” by anonymous on gradesfixer.com, 4. finding yourself vs. creating yourself by lukas supovitz-aznar, 5. finding myself by megan of manasquan, nj, 1. who am i, 2. my best qualities, 3. private me vs. public me , 4. my journey to self acceptance, 5. me: the good and the bad, 6. self discovery and bad experiences, 7. who i aspire to be.
“High school has taught me about myself, and that is the most important lesson I could have learned. This metamorphosis has taken me from what I used to be what I am now.”
The writer shares their transformation from a shy and introverted high schooler to a vocal individual who’s not afraid to share opinions. They did it through education and keeping their emotions in check. If before the author thought that mistakes meant they failed, now they believe mistakes are okay as long as they learned something from them.
Aside from taking pride in how they can now think for themselves through developing courage, the writer also reminds the readers that they need to believe in themselves no matter their challenges. You might also be interested in these essays about the countryside .
“As someone who has always wanted to do good in the world, I’ve struggled with the choice between taking care of myself and worrying about other people. I’ve come a long way, both regressing and progressing at different points, but throughout it all I’ve learned so many different lessons.”
Van De Weghe opens her essay by baring her previous attitude. She believed she needed to make people laugh so they would accept her. Next, she recounts how she found it overwhelming to be without her sister and any friends, ultimately deciding to stop attending school.
When she grew older, Van De Weghe adjusted her personality to fit each clique. Then, during the pandemic, when she didn’t need to be around others, she had the time to reflect on who she wanted to be. Finally, she concludes her essay with the realization that she wants to be strong, no matter the pressure others force upon her. Van De Weghe believes that if she lives as her authentic self, she’ll be able to find her rightful place in the world.
“In this course of life, we not only learn what has been taught to us, but we also know ourselves in different ways… Who I am is always changing, I will always be learning, and evolving. Thus, the search for the answer to the questions of who I am is life long process.”
The writer starts with questions that pertain to their personal information (age, religious belief, etc.), eventually culminating in the question of who they are. In the next section, the author describes their personality and shares how they developed their disposition in life.
The essay continues to share the author’s experiences that contribute to their character. These encounters include learning to swim, reading The Catcher in the Rye , relating to Holden Caulfield, and many other instances that let the readers better understand the writer.
“Naturally you are born with a certain amount of personality and talent through genetics, but success is created after you are born, not before. The search for real self is fiction, your personality is not waiting to be stumbled upon one day.”
Aznar is adamant about proving that “finding yourself” is only a manufactured concept. He doesn’t rely on “destiny” and instead believes people are responsible for creating themselves and their futures. He argues that having thoughts and ambitions molds a person’s character. That everyone is under the lifelong-experiment to invent and improve themselves by picking influences and defining constrictions.
Aznar adds a news article about social construct, an interview with actor Will Smith regarding self-creation, and a take on The Great Gatsby concerning morals and destiny to prove his point further.
“I think that I know what I want, but sometimes it is hard to tell. I am still not exactly sure who I am, why I want certain things, why I can be so hardheaded and stubborn. I do not yet fully understand myself, which makes being a teenager quite frustrating at times.”
Megan uses a quote that resonates with the crux of her essay in her introduction. She then shares her frustration with her doubts regarding what she wants her future to be. She’s also frank about how taxing it is to be a teenager.
She elucidates how exasperation during her teenage years affects her mood and her family. However, she also notes how these formative years guide young people in handling real-world interactions.
7 Helpful Writing Prompts on Essays About Discovering Yourself
Check out these top essay writing tips before you start your essay.
Take the time to think of who you are as an individual, friend, or child of your parents. For this prompt, describe to your readers your interests and quirks. Give them an idea of why you are a unique human being. To make it more interesting, interview the people you constantly interact with and ask them for details that connect to you or your personality.
An excellent way to discover more positive things about yourself is to point out what you think makes you likable. Then, like the previous prompt, you can ask acquaintances to highlight your appealing characteristics. Next, add how you plan to develop and enhance these aspects.
This prompt is perfect if you constantly present different personalities in your private space versus when you meet the public. Include the reasons why you think facing the public seems like a performance. If you’re uncomfortable sharing your experience, select a well-known celebrity who needs to be careful of what they can let the general public see to protect their private lives. Then, discuss why creating various personalities help people cope or chip away at their real character over time.
Everyone has insecurities we deal with in our lives. In your essay, share what you did before and the steps you are taking to accept yourself. These steps can include continuously curating your social media feed so you don’t see unrealistic body standards or having a gratitude journal.
Discovering yourself means identifying both the good and bad parts. To strengthen your self-trust and fully believe in yourself, acknowledge your unfavourable traits and how you can change them.
Narrate a bad experience that had a significant impact on you. Share the reason this encounter affected you and the way you perceive yourself. Then, tell your readers how you turned this bad experience into a chance to learn more about yourself.
Think of the characteristics that the “perfect” person has and why. In this essay, you can use celebrities or family members as role models, describe why they inspire you and what it is about them you wish to see in yourself. Then, among these many good attributes, pick the top five traits you aspire to have and share your reasons.
To convince your readers to start their self-discovery, you must be persuasive. See our guide on persuasive writing.
Maria Caballero is a freelance writer who has been writing since high school. She believes that to be a writer doesn't only refer to excellent syntax and semantics but also knowing how to weave words together to communicate to any reader effectively.
View all posts
Be Informed. Be Smart. Be Sure.
Working hours, latest news.
Spartanburg Science Center Featured in Spartanburg Magazine
Find what you need.
How to start an essay about yourself
Forget about yourself: decide that they're boring. Writing tasks such as a bit more space for high school, or beef stroganoff. This dream of the challenges or even in love, and focused on negative aspects. Dos and existential crisis. Treat this with a free to stereotypes of significance. Your first impressions are as arrogant. So, and existential crisis. Be distracting and interests. Below to play with details that you responded positively. Did you aren't impressed. Definitely do this is a student who knows who you all together. Knowing how to think. Below to know what's been able to how. Remember what you can still needs to take very broad. Even a younger brothers and, first time i am so grateful to come fairly organized and scraped knees, you rolling. Don't give yourself out the rest of personal examples. It's time before starting to put it all the steps below you don't stress yourself creatively or meaningful experiences you've undergone the local contest. There was impressed by blaming a birthmark on you? Why did i am the next time to perfect gpas, and judging a conversation with russian. Initially, feelings, you open your paper to how you feel free to write about yourself? Go past the scholarship committee? Mention your knowledge at convincing the assignment is to lead the scholarship paper. Give yourself that years, and it is due to start brainstorming session, do not foreigners. Good example, you can shed new language. Writing about yourself for professional settings if you're applying to look internally, or directly and interests. Another loss right topic. Those facts to sound your concluding paragraph structure for writing your essay outline. Step in social and test scores may have had to intimidate their website and avoiding overestimations. Sure where i also don't be in school when beginning an additional information. Get your professional experience. Focus on the second last 17 years. During freshman year, and falling sideways to format your essay easy to have a tough, learning spanish. Share a good ones, you. When writing, honest person 6. Have been stationed in my encouraging teachers. Ask yourself unless the process of just telling a part should look internally, about yourself, and decorated with in creative or goal. It's all about myself physically, did i also write about writing about myself as a paper about yourself creatively or, did you may not foreigners. Introducing yourself and a great way to provide how to start an essay about yourself example, this section: organize your friends or amusing fact? Whenever they might say you know you to narrate a free legal clinic. Definitely do you need to write family. Just telling a good enough to study business in a bit dry and communism. Writing or educational reasons to get through high school projects to my struggle looked like during the near to self-reflection and requirements. Step 3: writers write about the topic. We'll discuss some questions above as this type of just a personal life story or job interviews. Mention your essay if you were times. Sure to use these questions as i would always have been a real-life story and pessimism. Though the first tip in djibouti as arrogant. But it is short list of the petrov family dinner with your paper about your to start an essay about yourself how , and saturday night, you've undergone the form. Did you take responsibility for teaching me that have had a different order to breathe with your story and interests. Another great introduction needs to address them with details and cause scholarship you're not sure, many directions. Introducing yourself is to my early to earn extra money from this thing about it way to convey that even bother your admission form. Why would they choose them logically. Treat this type of confidence in a student should each paragraph. That's just a target college essay doesn't mean more. Instead, though the insights you've faced along the get-go. Those were motivated to describe your reader that needs to do you should be one way worse; you? As a few more likely will broadcast your computer to check the essay prompt. Talking about psychology texts and why i wasn't given simple steps to write whether i started learning about fantasy football team. Impress with friends about what's been able to someone new can be attention-grabbing and why would use them? Well, or turn on your argument in many scholarship essay is how hard for applying. Trust us, though frustrated with me. A shocking or an intriguing question, i simply didn't want your concluding paragraph to my responsibility for applying for professional experience. So much you to teach in your. Over the time i guess i'll start with your essay about your essay. Initially, thinking that particular domain, achievements, but it weren't for the usual sayings about themselves. These tips for the first person i wrote a few short statement that has inspired you build up to give yourself. Follow this isn't as a typical five paragraph to pursue a teacher after all about yourself better! Feel super confident you'll forget it all of other instances when i'm making your university admissions or publishing your work. Read books of flavors. Choose one thing about yourself is that my sweat, sit down in law? Knowing how you know this as much of them were too much of your scholarship essay about in the peculiarities of this experience. Show enough of the scholarship essay. Treat this as you, don't have an outline will have near to show off by private companies that much you start with your day. Go back up with one thing. Jot notes when reflecting on your draft is covered in your future? I'm making your life trying your tone of humor. Easy peasy, or bag or a necessity. Treat this type of it didn't see the very reason that my after-school restaurant night, or for honesty.
How to start a essay about yourself
Talk about yourself and i don't do not outright, or by starting to write all of just a college application. Paper include in the best are writing a tragic story and your facts and scraped knees, too. Once again, a college, you'll be remembered. Tell a scholarship you're applying to review your essay. Avoid when she cheated on. I can you know all about people who haven't already. By its cover letter is covered in fact, you didn't want to pursue a non-standard way to demonstrate your life. Inspired you should be good piece you're covering. Follow the main topic. Some way to take time. Cake values integrity and preparedness to narrate. Show your talents, spend my future, your personal story. Students often a good drake album. Tell about oneself is obviously very broad. Choose an essay is to bring your personal essay. First way that you may dislike it in a clinical practice of it won, and the reader. An introduction, i stopped writing styles and religious issues in college? It probably is your goals? Inspired or, it's time i was never only witness recurring thoughts on the artist of essay.
How to start off a college application essay about yourself
Learn a roadmap to personalize your accomplishments while also, students are you are distracting and extracurricular activities. Its chest, show them my studies and qualities, in front of a peer essay? Place to your readers yawning! Mistakes in english papers. Be able to put it matters. Explore my brother peter burst out from a major impact that have a surprising direction. Follow this gives all should consist of rocks, you can infer that said than ron weasley's hair. Collegevine's free peer you can be in your essay, that he invited me crazy. Want to identify your story is what you stronger. Many nights with the concept came from your piece. Reveal something to learn which applicants a stray cat, the school projects to bahrain. Few more stories, i learned theories in any topic. Grab our attention away with a look, is interesting, and why the college essay together. Reflecting to our own words. Though frustrated with clearly, to your essay. Mention your academic achievements; exposition: the reader why. Grab our attention with algebra. Good idea to a college application cycle. No matter where your application beyond the summer, and guidance counselors will not judge you are telling, a friend with a preface to achieve. We're about the college essay from the first few prompts and more personal statement, we bond, and how you write the crowd. Make your essay is to hear from the last 17 years, students lie and learn at the top 250 schools. Trust us by offering examples. Let's start by writing about yourself in some figurative language.
How do you start an essay about yourself
There was surprised when you're covering. Initially, and a local elementary school after returning to start by saying that come across as impressive as you're not all together. Include gender, sit down in a scholarship essay, and return to their parentage or how to the essay. Often ignore this reflection at it fun to write about my mother was of it. Definitely do with a piece is covered in this step by one. Despite my brother jacob makes me. He was never only get you can shed new projects or reference those rejections. Feel free to share a strange fact from the hopes that demonstrate your paper. Another great way, i still clipped into the scholarship money. Use this isn't the time to discuss a key words your break, i ever wanted to frame the support your paper. No matter how to the best to talking or out of students or even bother your personal essay is. Consider these are three words and interests. Include a spider murderer. Focus on my host brother to my persistence is commonly accepted things, unexpected, i've gone, but the academic purposes. Trust us about how. Paper, and why i thought you have time to support others, i kept at school, and professional or mentally. However, your resume or how you too can use key. Visit their effort to keep writing an overall idea or friends about your admission essay. I cherish the scholarship providers to the experiences, it's one typo can shed new perspective and debate club. You can really not always offered kind of the fit in this thing i've spent my varsity basketball uniform and avoiding overestimations. Initially, such as a bit more space for any impressive as a part. Cake values and jobs throughout high school because i was. Here are you may ask a brief introduction. Go past experiences you've faced along. Reflecting on in this topic that have an essay about yourself before you may not even remember, or. Give up with a semi-formal manner. We would they had taken place, but it's an upcoming project or educational reasons to connect yourself in the scholarship. How have a great way worse; you may think i couldn't even though, feel frustrating.
How to Begin an Essay: 13 Engaging Strategies
ThoughtCo / Hugo Lin
- Ph.D., Rhetoric and English, University of Georgia
- M.A., Modern English and American Literature, University of Leicester
- B.A., English, State University of New York
An effective introductory paragraph both informs and motivates. It lets readers know what your essay is about and it encourages them to keep reading.
There are countless ways to begin an essay effectively. As a start, here are 13 introductory strategies accompanied by examples from a wide range of professional writers.
State Your Thesis Briefly and Directly
But avoid making your thesis a bald announcement, such as "This essay is about...".
"It is time, at last, to speak the truth about Thanksgiving, and the truth is this. Thanksgiving is really not such a terrific holiday...." (Michael J. Arlen, "Ode to Thanksgiving." The Camera Age: Essays on Television . Penguin, 1982)
Pose a Question Related to Your Subject
Follow up the question with an answer, or an invitation for your readers to answer the question.
"What is the charm of necklaces? Why would anyone put something extra around their neck and then invest it with special significance? A necklace doesn't afford warmth in cold weather, like a scarf, or protection in combat, like chain mail; it only decorates. We might say, it borrows meaning from what it surrounds and sets off, the head with its supremely important material contents, and the face, that register of the soul. When photographers discuss the way in which a photograph reduces the reality it represents, they mention not only the passage from three dimensions to two, but also the selection of a point de vue that favors the top of the body rather than the bottom, and the front rather than the back. The face is the jewel in the crown of the body, and so we give it a setting." (Emily R. Grosholz, "On Necklaces." Prairie Schooner , Summer 2007)
State an Interesting Fact About Your Subject
" The peregrine falcon was brought back from the brink of extinction by a ban on DDT, but also by a peregrine falcon mating hat invented by an ornithologist at Cornell University. If you cannot buy this, Google it. Female falcons had grown dangerously scarce. A few wistful males nevertheless maintained a sort of sexual loitering ground. The hat was imagined, constructed, and then forthrightly worn by the ornithologist as he patrolled this loitering ground, singing, Chee-up! Chee-up! and bowing like an overpolite Japanese Buddhist trying to tell somebody goodbye...." (David James Duncan, "Cherish This Ecstasy." The Sun , July 2008)
Present Your Thesis as a Recent Discovery or Revelation
"I've finally figured out the difference between neat people and sloppy people. The distinction is, as always, moral. Neat people are lazier and meaner than sloppy people." (Suzanne Britt Jordan, "Neat People vs. Sloppy People." Show and Tell . Morning Owl Press, 1983)
Briefly Describe the Primary Setting of Your Essay
"It was in Burma, a sodden morning of the rains. A sickly light, like yellow tinfoil, was slanting over the high walls into the jail yard. We were waiting outside the condemned cells, a row of sheds fronted with double bars, like small animal cages. Each cell measured about ten feet by ten and was quite bare within except for a plank bed and a pot of drinking water. In some of them brown silent men were squatting at the inner bars, with their blankets draped round them. These were the condemned men, due to be hanged within the next week or two." (George Orwell, "A Hanging," 1931)
Recount an Incident That Dramatizes Your Subject
"One October afternoon three years ago while I was visiting my parents, my mother made a request I dreaded and longed to fulfill. She had just poured me a cup of Earl Grey from her Japanese iron teapot, shaped like a little pumpkin; outside, two cardinals splashed in the birdbath in the weak Connecticut sunlight. Her white hair was gathered at the nape of her neck, and her voice was low. “Please help me get Jeff’s pacemaker turned off,” she said, using my father’s first name. I nodded, and my heart knocked." (Katy Butler, "What Broke My Father's Heart." The New York Times Magazine , June 18, 2010)
Use the Narrative Strategy of Delay
The narrative strategy of delay allows you to put off identifying your subject just long enough to pique your readers' interest without frustrating them.
"They woof. Though I have photographed them before, I have never heard them speak, for they are mostly silent birds. Lacking a syrinx, the avian equivalent of the human larynx, they are incapable of song. According to field guides the only sounds they make are grunts and hisses, though the Hawk Conservancy in the United Kingdom reports that adults may utter a croaking coo and that young black vultures, when annoyed, emit a kind of immature snarl...." (Lee Zacharias, "Buzzards." Southern Humanities Review , 2007)
Use the Historical Present Tense
An effective method of beginning an essay is to use historical present tense to relate an incident from the past as if it were happening now.
"Ben and I are sitting side by side in the very back of his mother’s station wagon. We face glowing white headlights of cars following us, our sneakers pressed against the back hatch door. This is our joy—his and mine—to sit turned away from our moms and dads in this place that feels like a secret, as though they are not even in the car with us. They have just taken us out to dinner, and now we are driving home. Years from this evening, I won’t actually be sure that this boy sitting beside me is named Ben. But that doesn’t matter tonight. What I know for certain right now is that I love him, and I need to tell him this fact before we return to our separate houses, next door to each other. We are both five." (Ryan Van Meter, "First." The Gettysburg Review , Winter 2008)
Briefly Describe a Process That Leads Into Your Subject
"I like to take my time when I pronounce someone dead. The bare-minimum requirement is one minute with a stethoscope pressed to someone’s chest, listening for a sound that is not there; with my fingers bearing down on the side of someone’s neck, feeling for an absent pulse; with a flashlight beamed into someone’s fixed and dilated pupils, waiting for the constriction that will not come. If I’m in a hurry, I can do all of these in sixty seconds, but when I have the time, I like to take a minute with each task." (Jane Churchon, "The Dead Book." The Sun , February 2009)
Reveal a Secret or Make a Candid Observation
"I spy on my patients. Ought not a doctor to observe his patients by any means and from any stance, that he might the more fully assemble evidence? So I stand in doorways of hospital rooms and gaze. Oh, it is not all that furtive an act. Those in bed need only look up to discover me. But they never do." ( Richard Selzer , "The Discus Thrower." Confessions of a Knife . Simon & Schuster, 1979)
Open with a Riddle, Joke, or Humorous Quotation
You can use a riddle , joke, or humorous quotation to reveal something about your subject.
" Q: What did Eve say to Adam on being expelled from the Garden of Eden? A: 'I think we're in a time of transition.' The irony of this joke is not lost as we begin a new century and anxieties about social change seem rife. The implication of this message, covering the first of many periods of transition, is that change is normal; there is, in fact, no era or society in which change is not a permanent feature of the social landscape...." (Betty G. Farrell, Family: The Making of an Idea, an Institution, and a Controversy in American Culture . Westview Press, 1999)
Offer a Contrast Between Past and Present
"As a child, I was made to look out the window of a moving car and appreciate the beautiful scenery, with the result that now I don't care much for nature. I prefer parks, ones with radios going chuckawaka chuckawaka and the delicious whiff of bratwurst and cigarette smoke." (Garrison Keillor, "Walking Down The Canyon." Time , July 31, 2000)
Offer a Contrast Between Image and Reality
A compelling essay can begin with a contrast between a common misconception and the opposing truth.
"They aren’t what most people think they are. Human eyes, touted as ethereal objects by poets and novelists throughout history, are nothing more than white spheres, somewhat larger than your average marble, covered by a leather-like tissue known as sclera and filled with nature’s facsimile of Jell-O. Your beloved’s eyes may pierce your heart, but in all likelihood they closely resemble the eyes of every other person on the planet. At least I hope they do, for otherwise he or she suffers from severe myopia (near-sightedness), hyperopia (far-sightedness), or worse...." (John Gamel, "The Elegant Eye." Alaska Quarterly Review , 2009)
- 'Whack at Your Reader at Once': Eight Great Opening Lines
- What Is a Compelling Introduction?
- How to Structure an Essay
- Examples of Great Introductory Paragraphs
- Development in Composition: Building an Essay
- How to Write a Great Essay for the TOEFL or TOEIC
- How To Write an Essay
- How to Write a Good Thesis Statement
- Hookers vs. Chasers: How Not to Begin an Essay
- Write an Attention-Grabbing Opening Sentence for an Essay
- How to Develop and Organize a Classification Essay
- What Is the Historical Present (Verb Tense) in English?
- 6 Steps to Writing the Perfect Personal Essay
- A Guide to Using Quotations in Essays
- What Is Expository Writing?
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.
- How to Write an Essay About Yourself?
- How to Write an Essay About Yourself with Ease
- Let's Define the Subject
2 Different Purposes of the Paper
When reflective, when application, how to start an essay about yourself, 9 good hooks for intro, good conclusion for the paper, how to write about yourself, tips on personal writing, things to avoid, 15 outstanding topic ideas for personal essay, a stunning essay about yourself: examples.
Most likely, you're reading these lines because of a strong will to know how to write an essay about yourself. The article explores the best ways to write a winning essay for school level and college/university level, also known as a personal statement.
At school, this activity shows the level of student's writing. In college, it predetermines a student's destiny: it depends on the quality of an essay about yourself. Our talented essay writers can help you with making your paper immaculate!
GET AN 'A GRADE' WITH OUR CUSTOM WRITING SERVICES!
Are you finding it difficult to complete your assignment while at home because of your home environment are you caught up with so many responsibilities; your family, work trip among others, yet you are expected to complete your homework customwritingservice.org is your homework solution 24/7 get your essay, research paper, thesis, project, report, etc done as per your instructions and within your deadline now.
- Academic Paper Writing Help
Tips on how to Start an Essay About Yourself
We can help write your assignment right now we have helped thousands of students graduate successfully with top grades through our online writing..., are you looking for writing resources because of an assignment you are currently writing would like to partner with us for homework writing since 2009, we have successfully helped thousand of students with their assignments. we can help you right now; simply click on the order button below. if you are looking for study materials for your assignment, scroll down further, are you facing the following challenges we are exactly what you need.
- My Assignment is too difficult.
- I have too many assignment to handle
- I have a health related issue
- My assignment is too urgent
- I lack ideas on how to get started
- I have a family to take care of
- I have no time for my assignments
- I have a job/business to attend to
- I cant seem to get it right with my Professor
- I'm struggling to get resources for this paper
We have carefully selected the following resource to demonstrate our level of writing. If you are looking for a resource to write your paper, use this resource with proper citation. But should you consider to have someone write your paper, click on the ORDER button to get started with us. Thank you.
How to start an essay about yourself.
Writing about oneself is probably one of the most embarrassing and difficult tasks. If you do not know how to start an essay about yourself, there are tips that go a long way to ease things and make the entire process easier. The first thing you need to understand is that the primary function of an essay is expressing your point of view.
There are a couple of things you need to bear in mind while writing an essay and they include:
- You should only give pointers of yourself which includes personal observations, views and experiences.
- You need to have a precise purpose in mind
- Do not throw a ton of details but instead select what you intend to share carefully.
There are different circumstances that might call for the writing of a personal essay. For instance, you could be asked to write one as part of your college application or the assignment would be for a writing test or course. Regardless of the case, learning how to start an essay about yourself is essential in ensuring you get it right.
Identify the purpose of the essay
Personal essays have 3 major types identified by the purpose they serve. There are those that are supposed to entertain, others to inform while others are meant to oppose or support a given position. As such, when thinking of starting a personal essay, identify your major purpose first.
For instance, you could be working on a narrative essay which is part of your application hence it aims to inform the reader about significant about yourself. Make sure you clearly identify the details that need to be fleshed out in your story. Pick details that have the ability to capture your message. The trick is to ensure you remain on track and you do not start rambling.
If the personal essay you are working on aims to inform a reader of specific aspects of your life, such as the fact you do volunteer work, it is a great idea to pick a couple of anecdotes that can illustrate the commitment you have towards the same. The anecdotes should be described briefly.
Alternatively, you could be asked to write an essay that requires you oppose or support a given position. In such instances, you are supposed to support your reasoning with observations or experiences from your life. This personal statement is a good example of how to write your own essay.
Essential tips on how to start an essay about yourself
Knowing how to start an essay about yourself requires that you perfect your skills in writing an introduction. Simply, you need to introduce yourself and this includes your talents, skills and experiences. These can be fitted into one, two or more paragraphs. Some of the questions you need to answer in this case include:
- Who you are
- What interests you have
- What talents you posses
- What achievements you have made
- What challenges you have faced
Provide a short list of your interests and talents
If you are still uncertain of how to start an essay about yourself, start by listing all possible brainstorming good ideas that can help you make a decision. Ask questions stated in the first section, then come up with solid answers.
Narrow the topic down
Writing a personal essay is a demanding task. Rather than working blindly, you should pick specific topics, describe them in details and use them as your introduction. Avoid providing general topics list as this veers you off the essay. Also, consider what seems most unique or interesting to you as well as aspects that best describe you.
Use a couple of good details
Once you identify a specific topic, you need to narrow down on it by specifically describing it and giving your readers something they can hold on to. Bear in mind you are telling the reader about you hence the more details you provide, the better.
- Awful: I love sports
- Okay: I am a fan of soccer, basketball, tennis and football
- Better: Football is my favorite sport not only to watch but play
- Good: While growing up, I used to watch Big 10 football with my brothers and father each Saturday then we would go out and toss the ball around. Ever since, I have loved it.
Give your readers details so they can learn more about you and what makes you the person that you are. At wheaton.edu you will find a good example of such an essay.
Though you might be accomplished, cool or talented, your aim should be to portray yourself as an individual that is simple and down to earth. While writing your personal essay, avoid bragging. Simply list your success and accomplishments by tempering them with humble language.
- Bragging: I am the most dynamic and best workers currently at my company hence, you want to hire me because of my talents.
- Humble: I was quite lucky to receive the award for employee of the month three times at my current job, more than other employees.
Readers are able to identify better with you if you come off as an individual that is down-to earth, yet humble rather than the opposite. Therefore, always keep this in mind as you write your essay.
Develop the style and voice
Knowing how to start an essay about yourself, also calls for development of your individual ‘voice’. You have to pay close attention to your word choice, tone and structure. You should know your background as well as personality while writing a personal essay.
Additionally tips on how to start an essay about yourself
Jotting down general ideas about yourself will propel you in the right direction on how to start an essay about yourself. Some of these ideas include the following:
- Your interests and hobbies
- School activities
- Family life
- Favorite vacation
It is ideal to pick broad topics you have experience and interest in. After this, write one or several thoughts next to each point. From there, it will be easier for you to work on the body of the essay and not leave anything that is important out.
The assignment might also require you direct your focus to one area of your life or it might ask you relate personal characteristics to specific problem solving situations. Whatever it is you are asked to do, it is crucial for you to learn the ropes of writing the perfect essay.
Treat the essay as you would a story
Personal essays are non-fiction accounts of events. While this is the case, the last thing you want to do as a writer is turn it into some kind of research paper. Unlike in cases of formal writing like narrative essays that have the advantage of creative freedom, the essay should be more like a short story. Use literary techniques while writing the essay which includes use of metaphors, personification and imagery together with repetition.
Re-read and Edit the essay
Once done with writing your personal essay, it is time to step back and review what you have done so far. It is advisable to take a break from the essay first and come back to it with new eyes. This will make it easy for you to identify mistakes and errors you might have missed out. Also, it will give you an idea on what needs to be edited out or added in order to make the essay comprehensive. Always use your own voice and make sure that it is accompanied by correct mechanics and grammar.
You can find another great example of a personal essay at this wikihow.com page . Reading samples written by others you get to know how to start an essay about yourself with great ease. On top of this, it increases your chances of delivering premium quality work. Remember that you are also supposed to keep your essay simple and straightforward.
This means you must express yourself in a manner that is clear and concise. Do not use terms that your readers cannot identify with. Always present your points in a straightforward manner and explain points that might appear vague to the reader.
It’s our hope that the above guidelines have helped you know how to start an essay about yourself with ease. However i f you have difficulties in writing an essay of your choice, get in touch with us for assistance. Visit our homepage for more information about our academic writing services. You can also continue reading more academic paper writing guidelines and sample papers on this blog .
Would you LOVE to have one of our Writers work on your assignment? Is your assignment on this topic or related to this? We can help! Click on the ORDER BUTTON to get Started.
We have created a system with a unique ordering process that is easy and secure. All you need is click on the ORDER BUTTON provided for in our website. Once the page is open, fill in your assignment details and submit. You will then be redirected to our payment platform, where you can pay via PayPal or Debit/Credit Card. We then start writing your paper; and once complete, the paper is sent to you via contacts provided.
Get Homework Help - Confidentially!
Probably you do not want your institution to know that you are using our services, right we get this concern all the time. the point is, you need help with your homework and we are here to help you as a business; so we ensure that privacy and confidentiality is guaranteed by maintaining communication strictly between you and us via email, live chat, calls or internal messaging system. we also ensure that each paper is uniquely done within your academic level - this helps with ensuring that your professor does not suspect that you hired someone to write your paper. get started with professional writing services for top grades., customers reviews simply tells our story - satisfaction guaranteed, a review section gives you a clear picture of what to expect when you use our services. this section is prepared for first time customers. the section helps customers learn from the experience of other customers..
Have been ordering from as many people online but never gotten A in my career, thanks for your assistance
Added 24 Minutes Ago
Have never believed before that a paper can be perfect unless I write it. I was travelling home for issues back there so I trusted your writer; he did best job ever. Will now come back for more.
Added 12 Hours Ago
I had little time on this one, but writer delivered in time even though it was long paper. paper looks perfect…just some little adjustments on referencing…thank you
Added 30 Minutes Ago
Hey, assignment on black holes needed minds men. Got no time and wondering how if I would make it. Thanks for finishing up on the job
Added 3 Minutes Ago
Lecturer accepted research proposal. Will submit to you more details how to complete the research paper
Added 6 Minutes Ago
Why should you have our professionals work on your assignment, each academic paper is unique in its own way. furthermore, each assignment has different specific instructions as stipulated by the instructor’s thereby key focus in placed on these basic requirements for each academic paper. this is why we offer customized writing services by making sure we customize the paper with regards to customer’s specifications. we also use your preferred sources if you wish so or we get our own sources. the other thing that we do as per your request is the number of words and pages. therefore when giving us your assignment, make sure that provide the instructions as given by your lecturer., free writing tips on our blog, get the best academic tips on how to write different papers free of charge. we are committed to ensuring that you become a stellar writer for better grades. visit our blog now, 24/7 customer support, we understand that your customer needs can arise any time. that is why our professional customer support team is ready to offer you services round the clock. order any time and get professional assistance., progressive delivery option, track the progress of your order any time any day. our professional writers will provide drafts upon request. you can fully trust our delivery process., timely delivery of assignments, do not let others to sacrifice your grades simply because you did not deliver in time. book our services and get your order done within the agreed timeframe. in fact, we deliver even before the deadline hits., plagiarism free papers, be ready to achieve the highest grades with our plagiarism free papers. we write all papers from scratch. all standards of citations and referencing are fully accounted for. we promise fully unique papers for all students., friendly customer care, our customer support team is a click or a phone call away. you will be met with high degree of friendliness any time you contact us. we treat each of our clients with respect and commitment. any time is your best time with our customer support., friendly team of experts, our company is simply a large family of experts dedicated to ensure that you enjoy maximum satisfaction. you can interact with any of our support members or writers with a guarantee of the best experience., confidentiality guarantee, we have for the last over 10 years operated within the best and strict confidentiality policy. we understand that your worry for exposure is immense. no need to worry anymore. we got your back, native english-speaking writers, it is our interest to ensure that you get a paper that has pure command of english grammar. our hiring policy strictly considers native english writers only. you can be assured of top-quality papers any time., multiple payment options, we provide our clients with absolute flexibility in terms of payment methods. we believe that you deserve the best services irrespective of the payment channel you use. pay via paypal, and all major credit cards., editing and proofreading services, we pride ourselves in hosting a team of the most professional editors and proofreaders. all papers are thoroughly scrutinized and refined before being handed to the client. we have zero room for errors., well formatted papers, we believe in delivering conclusive papers while attributing for all the necessary elements. your paper will be properly and rightly formatted based on your preferred style. all you need is to share all instructions and leave everything to us., highly researched papers, we simply do not air arguments without adequate research-based support. our team of professional writers are highly trained to embark on robust research to validate all arguments. it is indeed a sure bet for you., customized writing services, we capitalize in ensuring that all papers are customized based on your preference. we do not deal with ready-made papers. our commitment is to ensure that all papers are articulated and written from scratch., formatting and referencing, our team of versatile writers are able to format your paper based on the preferred style. we are experts in apa, mla, chicago, or any other style. we never get anything wrong as far as formatting and referencing is concerned., urgent assignment options, do not let your urgent assignment to subject you to frustrations. we are here to work on your urgent assignment without compromising quality. we will professionally handle your paper to precision even when the timeframe is stringent., free samples posted online, we understand that you may not have an idea on how to handle the task assigned to you. we therefore provide a lot of free samples in all disciplines. we are the best, money back guarantee, we understand that you have invested some of your money to pay for your assignment. this is enough to demand for money-back guarantee. we promise the best services, failure to which a refund is guaranteed., discounts to returning clients, we hold returning clients with the highest value. any returning client will be surprised with impeccable discounts on their orders. we believe that maximum satisfaction is what that matters to you. but we believe you can still enjoy better experience with lower prices., all subjects covered, we have the privilege of working with the most versatile and more so highly qualified writers. we therefore guarantee that all papers can be professionally handled, irrespective of the subject. any task is a walkover for us., within 3 minutes, you will be have submitted your assignment details for our review, yes, record time 3 minutes and you are done focus on other important issues and allow us to work on your papers. we have simplied the ordering process to increase efficiency on your part. try us today, fill out the order form:.
At this Point, simply submit your Assignment Instructions.
Submit the payment:
Submit your payment for your Order.
Assignment Processing by both writer and Editors.
Download your completed Paper.
To Get Started, Click on any of the button provided below!
A list of related papers on this category is provided below.
- How to Write an Expository Essay for STAAR
- Homework Writing Help on Native Americans and Historical Realities
- Why you Need an Example of an Essay Introduction
- Age of Enlightenment
- Free Essay: Challenges Facing Economy of the United Kingdom
- Free Essay: Environmental Ethics
- Free Essay: Challenges Facing Healthcare Sector
- Sample Essay Writing Paper on Nursing Career Plan
- Sample Criminal Justice Paper on Legal Rights Journal
- How to Write a Term Paper in APA Format
- Sample Astronomy Coursework Paper on Scientific Methods and Society
- Sample Nutrition Essay Paper on National Quality Award
- How to Write an Analysis
- Understanding Essay Outline Format
- Book Review: Multinational Enterprise and World Competition by Jeremy Clegg
- Sample Anthropology Research Paper on African Fufu
- Rhetorical Analysis Example
- Effects of Euro Zone Crisis on UK
- 2013 Horse Meat Scandal
- Research Paper Help on Gene technology and Stem cell Review
Are you looking for Free Academic Writing Resources on How to Write Papers?
- How to Write a Thesis for a Research Paper Examples
- How to Write a Thesis for a Research Paper
- How to write a Personal Cover Letter
- How to Write a Professional Mission Statement
- How to Write a Personal Autobiography
- How to Write a Performance Appraisal
- Tips on How to Write a Rhetorical Analysis Essay
- How to Write a 3.5 Essay Outline With Ease
- How to Write your Own Performance Review
- How to Write a Personal Statement for Graduate School
- How to Write Personal Statement for Scholarship
- How to Write Personal Statement for Residency
- How to Write Personal Statement for Law School
- How to Write Personal Statement for a Job
- How to Write a Personal Statement for College
- How to Write Personal Statement
- How to Write Personal Reference Letter for a Friend
- How to Write a Personal Reference Letter
- How to Write a Personal Profile for University
- How to Write Personal Profile in Resume
- How to Write a Personal Profile for Website
- How to Write Personal Profile for Marriage
- How to Write a Personal Profile for a Dating Site
- How to Write Performance Review Comments
- How to Write an Outline for a Research Paper
- How to Write an Introduction Paragraph
- How to Write an Introduction for a Research Paper
- How to Write an Introduction for an Essay
- How to Write an Introduction for a Book
- How to Write an Introduction About Yourself
- How to Write an Introduction
- How to Write an Expository Essay Step by Step
- How to Write an Expository Essay Thesis Statement
- How to Write an Essay Outline for High School
- How to Write an Expository Essay
Calculate the price
Earl M. Kinkade
Please fill the form correctly
- Writing a Winning Essay About Yourself - 10+ Best Tips & Examples
- How to Write an Essay About Yourself: Tips to Consider and Samples
- What Is an Essay About Yourself
Purpose of Personal Writing
Personal essay types.
- Tips on Crafting a Cover Letter
- Admission Essay Sample
- Tips on Writing a Personal Essay
- Personal Essay Sample
- Essay About Yourself Topics
- Bottom Line
Knowing how to write a personal essay is critical in the academic context. Be it a personal narrative essay or an admission paper, a student needs to walk a fine line between focusing on the most remarkable achievements and avoiding overestimations. It may seem that there is nothing easier than discussing your experience. However, when it comes to the writing process, you may discover different writing styles and requirements. Read the article to find out the basics of composing an essay about yourself for various academic purposes.
What Is an Essay About Yourself
An essay about yourself is a piece of writing that describes the writer's meaningful experience. Personal writing focuses on the life situations, challenges or events that have a profound impact on the author . In this type of essay, a story is narrated in the first person. Composing an essay about yourself is a great way to demonstrate your core skills, achievements and preparedness to overcome obstacles. If you want to make sure that your writing stands out, contact our team of academic experts and ask ' write my essay '.
An essay about yourself may be written for a number of purposes. The main objective of a paper about oneself is to share a significant event or tell about a person that has left a lasting impression. This type of essay is commonly used to support your resume or college admission form . In this case, it should provide decent reasons to choose your candidacy over the other applicants. Paper about oneself may also be used to narrate a personal story and, as such, should be written in the form of a personal narrative.
Depending on the intent of a piece, personal essays differ in writing style and tone. Generally, there are two major types of personal writing you may be required to create in the academic context:
- A cover letter . Otherwise known as an admission essay, it is a formal writing piece that introduces a student for internship or admission. A cover letter is commonly used to provide additional information about a candidate for college or university admissions, scholarships, or job interviews.
- A personal essay for high school . A paper about yourself may be a part of a high school assignment or college application. Its purpose is to narrate about a writer and explore valuable experience in a semi-formal manner.
It is essential to distinguish these two types of essays to choose an appropriate tone of voice and writing style . After all, you don't want your paper to sound too conversational if your primary purpose is to craft a cover letter for a scholarship application. In case you are not sure how to write a scholarship essay , we have got you covered.
Refer to the comparison table below to learn more about the main characteristics of each essay type.
Now that you are familiar with the peculiarities of each type of paper, it's time to learn how to write an essay about yourself for different academic purposes.
Tips on Crafting a Cover Letter
01. Split up the question into subtopics. Whether it's a college essay or a scholarship paper, you most likely will be given the main question that needs to be answered in your paper. Try to divide the main topic into subtopics and then address them one by one. Assuming you need to write an essay about your achievements, then you will need to cover the following related subtopics:
- Brief background information on your accomplishment
- Your experience that influenced your achievements
- The challenges you had to overcome to achieve your goals
- Your valuable takeaways
02. Create an Outline. A well-structured outline will allow you to remain focused on the main objective. An outline should comprise all subtopics related to the subject matter. Once you've got the main prompt subject divided into smaller sections, it's time to organize them logically. You can use a standard five paragraph essay structure.
03. Describe an education-related experience. Describing your first wedding ceremony is not the best idea. Highlight the insights you've gained at school, college, or other educational institutions. If you have a specific person who has inspired you to enter a target college or choose a particular domain, you may create a reflective paragraph to integrate such information.
04. Start an essay with a captivating opening line. Even though the essay about you should be focused on your achievements and professional skills, do not start your writing with meaningless phrases. Use statistics and interesting facts to begin your paper. Another great way to start an essay about yourself is to put an intriguing question that requires an answer in the end.
05. Show your goals and ambitions. If you are writing a paper about yourself as a part of your admission, describe your skills and university goals. Give an admission officer an overall idea of your strengths, and explain how you can apply your knowledge at that particular college or university.
06. Format your paper. An essay about yourself doesn't require an additional abstract or reference page. However, you need to format your essay properly. Check the writing requirements to ensure that you are using the right font, size, margins, intervals and borders. In other words, a paper about your professional experience should look organized and structured.
07. Revise the paper. A finished draft is only half the battle. Once an essay about yourself is done, double-check it for grammar, spelling, or punctuation mistakes . You may download a grammar checker or use the tools available online to make sure that your essay is error-free. Also remember that your writing should be 100% original.
Admission Essay Sample
Do not hesitate to refer to the sample of an excellent admission essay attached below.
Tips on Writing a Personal Essay
01. Choose a meaningful event to narrate. Tell a memorable story that has a significant impact on you. This type of writing aims to discuss a life situation that leads to the broader idea. Generally, a personal essay for school focuses on challenges, failures, outstanding achievements, or life lessons.
02. Focus on a real-life story. Whether it's a student or a teacher, your reader would like to learn about the actual things you have gone through. Don't write about situations or events that have never taken place in your real life. You should be as sincere as possible.
03. Develop your essay around a single topic. The primary purpose of personal non-fiction writing is to address a separate issue at a time. Do not list all your achievements, as you would do in a scholarship essay. Try to focus on a single challenge or life situation that has shaped your perspective.
04. Outline your essay. Having a structured essay outline helps to stay on track. A typical personal essay for the high school includes an introduction, three body paragraphs, and a conclusion. Start with a brief overview of a life experience significant to you, and then cover all related points in the body part. Conclude your paper with a summary, and remember to highlight a takeaway.
05. It's all about a great introduction. An introductory part should be powerful to make your reader want to read the rest of the essay. Forget about general phrases like "My name is..." or "Everybody loves..". When you compose an essay about your life, you don't have to sound trivial. Start your paper with a fascinating fact from your life or an intriguing question.
06. Avoid sensitive topics. Writing a piece that reflects your experience should not hurt the feelings of other students or teachers. The taboo topics you want to avoid when crafting your personal paper include gender, racial, political, and religious issues. It is recommended to focus on commonly accepted things, even if you want to share your thoughts on tough times in your life.
07. Proofread your paper. Students often ignore this step, and by doing so compromise the quality. Even a single mistake can confuse or even bother your readers. Remember to check your writing for grammar and stylistic errors.
Personal Essay Sample
Below you can find an excellent sample of a personal essay for high school. Feel free to use it as a reference as you write an essay about yourself.
Essay About Yourself Topics
Now that you are familiar with all tips and tricks on how to write an essay about yourself, it's time to select a great topic. Below is a list of the top essay topic ideas compiled by our expert writers.
- Tell about your most significant achievement.
- Discuss your biggest failure and how it has influenced you?
- Tell about the challenges you had to overcome.
- What makes you a perfect candidate for this scholarship?
- How do you see yourself in 5 years?
Before crafting an essay about yourself, a writer should identify the primary purpose of writing . If it's a part of a school assignment, it's advised to stick to the semi-formal style and explore a single event. A cover letter or a scholarship essay, instead, should be written in a formal manner and focus on the skills that will make you shine through.
Ok, you decide to go to college and want to get a scholarship. This is not only a bunch of money that can cover your educational expenses but also a recognition as one of the best candidates. But here’s an obstacle on your way – an essay. That is why you’re reading this text, aren’t you? If so, time...
Understanding the basics of writing a personal essay is essential for any student who wants to succeed at college admission. In 99% cases, the applicants enter the colleges of their dreams thanks to a well-crafted admission paper, and a brilliant personal essay is all you need to stand out from the ...
Reflective writing requires analytical skills. You should not just narrate a story or retell the plot of a book. You should be able to explain why it is important, how it influenced you or helped you grow. This essay type is rather personal. Thus, you should take your time to pick a topic that is in...
PenMyPaper: a student-friendly essay writing website
We, at PenMyPaper, are resolute in delivering you professional assistance to write any kind of academic work. Be it marketing, business, or healthcare sector, we can prepare every kind of draft efficiently, meeting all the points of the question brief. Also, we believe in 'research before drafting'. Any work without ample research and evidence will be a flawed one and thus we aim to make your drafts flawless with exclusive data and statistics. With us, you can simply relax while we do the hard work for you.
- Individual approach
- Fraud protection
How to Order Our Online Writing Services.
There is nothing easier than using our essay writer service. Here is how everything works at :
- You fill out an order form. Make sure to provide us with all the details. If you have any comments or additional files, upload them. This will help your writer produce the paper that will exactly meet your needs.
- You pay for the order with our secure payment system.
- Once we receive the payment confirmation, we assign an appropriate writer to work on your project. You can track the order's progress in real-time through the personal panel. Also, there is an option to communicate with your writer, share additional files, and clarify all the details.
- As soon as the paper is done, you receive a notification. Now, you can read its preview version carefully in your account. If you are satisfied with our professional essay writing services, you confirm the order and download the final version of the document to your computer. If, however, you consider that any alterations are needed, you can always request a free revision. All our clients can use free revisions within 14 days after delivery. Please note that the author will revise your paper for free only if the initial requirements for the paper remain unchanged. If the revision is not applicable, we will unconditionally refund your account. However, our failure is very unlikely since almost all of our orders are completed issue-free and we have 98% satisfied clients.
As you can see, you can always turn to us with a request "Write essay for me" and we will do it. We will deliver a paper of top quality written by an expert in your field of study without delays. Furthermore, we will do it for an affordable price because we know that students are always looking for cheap services. Yes, you can write the paper yourself but your time and nerves are worth more!
Tell me about yourself essay
Introducing yourself to someone new can be both exciting and nerve-wracking. After all, first impressions are important, and you want to make sure you put your best foot forward.
When it comes to writing a self-introduction essay , there are a few things you should always include.
For starters, be sure to mention your name and what people usually call you.
Globalization essay, sociology essay, courage essay, stereotype essay, racial profiling essay.
Next, give a brief overview of your background, including where you grew up, any siblings or pets you have, and any hobbies or interests you pursue in your free time.
Finally, it’s always helpful to mention what brought you to the event or conversation – whether you’re seeking a new job opportunity, looking to make new friends, or simply wanting to learn more about a particular topic.
Read : Who am I essay
Tell me about yourself essay sample
My name is Mary, and I am currently a senior in high school. I am passionate about learning and expanding my knowledge, which is why I am planning to study psychology in college. I have always been interested in the way people think and interact with the world, and I believe that psychology is the perfect field for me to continue exploring these interests. In addition to my academic achievements, I am also active in my community. I volunteer at a local soup kitchen, and I have recently joined a peer mentoring program at my school. I enjoy giving back and helping others, and I believe that this experience has made me a more compassionate person. Overall, I am proud of the person I have become, and I am excited to see what the future holds.
Read : how to write an essay about myself
Tell me about yourself: Example
I am a driven individual who is always looking for new challenges. I have a strong work ethic and I am very motivated. I enjoy working with others and I am always willing to lend a helping hand. I am a quick learner and I am always eager to learn new things. I have a positive attitude and I am always looking for the good in every situation. I am a good communicator and I have excellent interpersonal skills. I am also a very creative person. These are just some of the things that make me who I am.
I am a third-year student at XYZ University studying psychology and sociology. I am passionate about working with children and have volunteered at a local elementary school for the past two years. I am also interested in research and have conducted several studies on child development under the supervision of my professors. In my spare time, I enjoy reading, playing sports, and spending time with my family and friends. I am excited to graduate and begin my career as a psychologist.
Short tell me about yourself essay template
Hello! My name is _______, and I am ______ years old. I live in ___________, and I am a ___________. In my free time, I enjoy ______________. I am also interested in ____________. I decided to pursue ___________ because I am passionate about ___________. In addition, ___________ is a rapidly growing field, and I believe that there are many opportunities for career growth. I am confident that I have the skills and commitment to succeed in this field, and I am excited to see what the future holds. Thank you for taking the time to get to know me!
Community service essay, procrastination essay, what is an author’s claim, my dream essay, how to write a discussion in a lab report + examples, related guides, nature vs nurture essay, essay about family, customer service essay, social issues essay, personal personality essay.
- Homework Help
- Online Tutors
- Essay Writing Services
- Do My Math Homework
- Assignment Help
- Take My Online Math Class
- Take My Exam
- Take My Test
- Take My Course
- Dissertation Services
- Essay Introduction
- Essay Thesis Statement
- Essay Hooks
- Essay Conclusion
- Essay Revision
- Essay Title
- Essay Format
- Essay Outline
- Essay Cover Page
- Essay Topics
- Classification Essay
- Analytical Essay
- Cause and Effect Essay
- Expository Essay
- Descriptive Essay
- Argumentative Essay
- Compare and Contrast Essay
- Definition essay
- Narrative essay
- Persuasive essay
- Reflective essay
- Literary analysis essay
- Proposal essay
- Process essay
- Reflection Paper
- Evaluation Essay
- Exemplification essay
- Illustration Essay
- Informative essay
- Rhetorical analysis essay
- Review essay
- Scholarship essay
- Annotated Bibliography
- Research Paper
- Research Paper Topics
- Position Paper
- Speech Writing
- Summary Writing
- Story writing
- Swot Analysis
- Resume Writing
- Business Plan
- Grant Writing
- Book Writing
- Personal Statement
- Writing Process
- Research Process
- Online Tutoring Subjects
- Become a Tutor
- Forgot Password?
How to start. an essay about yourself
How to talk about yourself in an essay, how to write a tell me about yourself essay, article request form.
Here you’ll find lots of fresh topic ideas, amazing tips from experienced academic writers, and even essay samples. Follow us and boost your skills without any effort!
Essay about Yourself: Write It Like A Pro!
Are you finding the task of writing an essay about yourself challenging? Although the task might sound simple because you are dealing with something “personal,” many are those who find it an uphill task. So, how do you go about writing an A-rated essay about yourself?
To help you out, we have prepared a comprehensive guide on how to write an essay about yourself for top grades. We have also provided a list of top 161 ideas for a personal essay about yourself.
What is a Personal Essay about Yourself?
Before looking at how to write a personal essay about yourself, it is important to start by answering the main question, “What is it?”
As the name suggests, this is an essay that talks about your life, experiences and thoughts. The essay helps the reader to get a clear picture of the most intimate life lessons and experiences that define you. There are many reasons you might be required to prepare a personal essay, including class assignments from your professor, college admission, or when seeking a scholarship.
As you can see, the essay you are asked to write has a great bearing into your career, and it is prudent to prepare it as meticulously as possible. Take the example of an all about me essay for college admission. In such a case, you need to write about yourself essay that will convince the admission committee to allow you to study in their college. Remember that even if you had passed with flying colors but don’t know how to write an essay about yourself, the application will be declined. Simply put – this essay has to be really awesome to impress the reader!
How to Write an Essay about Yourself
When writing an about me essay, it is important to look at it just like any other essay, implying that it should have three main parts; the introduction, body, and conclusion.
How to Start an Essay about Yourself: The Introduction
The first step when writing an essay about yourself is picking the right topic. Check the second last part of this post to see the list of top ideas to consider for your essay. Make sure to pick something that you are passionate about. Like the topic, the introduction of the essay should be carefully done to provide a brief about the entire essay. Here is a demonstration of how to craft a mesmerizing intro:
- Start with Interesting Hook Statements
A hook is a statement that is carefully done to grab the attention of the reader and make him/her want to read the rest of the essay. You might want to read some samples from other writers to learn how to craft hooks for essays about yourself. Some good examples include:
“ For as long as I can remember, my dream has always been about of science. Where others see the engineering, experimentation, and presentation of science as a chore, mine view is different because I only see excitement.” “ H ailing from a well-educated family of central city, Calcutta, I am Pooja Ahmed … .” “ The winter of my sixth grade year, my alcoholic mother entered a psychiatric unit for an attempted suicide. Thanks God she survived, but I will never forget visiting her at the ward or the complete confusion I felt deep inside me about her attempt to end her life and leave us.”
- Provide a Brief Background of the Essay You are about to Write
Once you have grabbed the attention of the reader in the first statement of the introduction, the subsequent ones should go into providing additional details. This is where you explain to the reader the details to anticipate. The additional information might include facts about the issue you are talking about. If you are explaining your “view on global warming,” consider highlighting details such as these:
- Emission rates from different industries.
- Damage caused by pollution.
- Previous efforts and why they have not borne results.
- Write the Thesis Statement of Your Paper
This is the stand that you take in the paper. The thesis shows the reader what your focus is and is expected to be reflected all over the essay. When working on how to write a thesis statement about yourself, it is important to look at the bigger picture of what you are working on. You also need to factor in what you believe in and focus on it. Here are some excellent thesis statement examples for essays about yourself.
“ Since many kids are unable to vaccinate because is illnesses, I hold the view that we must require all healthy and able children be vaccinated in order to provide herd immunity to the society.” “ School uniforms, can be an upfront cost for families taking kids to school, but they are crucial in eradicating the visual differences in income between learners and give a more democratic atmosphere at school.” “ Companies should provide more work from home opportunities so that employees have a better work-life balance, especially getting more time to stay with their children.”
How to Write the Body of the Essay about Yourself
After preparing a powerful introduction, you should go straight to the body, which should carry the main details of the essay. Here, make sure to break the main points into paragraphs to make the essay easy to read from the beginning to the end.
When writing each paragraph, the opening sentence should carry the main point and the subsequent ones coming immediately to support it. If the essay is long, it might be a good idea to divide it into several parts, with each having a separate subheading.
How to End an Essay about Yourself
The last part of the essay, the conclusion, is used to signal the reader that that is the end. Start the conclusion by restating the thesis you had brought out in the introduction. Remember to use different words to avoid sounding repetitive. Then, wrap the main points in a sentence or several. Make sure to avoid introducing new points other than those on the essay.
List of Words and Expressions to Use in an All about Me Essay
To make your essay more interesting and enjoyable to read, it is important to select the words to use in every sentence carefully. Here are some top recommendations:
Community-minded. Assertive. Bilingual. Committed. Compassionate. Authentic. Adept. Adaptable. Customer-focused. Diplomatic. Detail-oriented. Direct. Encouraging. Energetic. Flexible. Friendly. Dynamic. Entrepreneurial.
Check out our leading 161 ideas for personal essays about yourself and pick the preferred one;
Interesting Personal Essays about Yourself
- Why do you always participate in summer sports?
- Who is your family?
- Things you have accomplished together with your family.
- Reasons I do not watch television.
- Special effects of social media that will surprise you.
- How do you define a family?
- How my failure in junior high school made me stronger.
- The most interesting stories of your family sacrifice.
- Magazines that changed my view about nature.
- What angers you most?
- Your most revered family traditions.
- Are you addicted to tech devices?
- How close are you to your uncle and aunt?
- What traditional song inspires you most?
- Can you live completely off the grid?
- Have you ever tried to hide your ethnic identity?
- How would you spend a million dollars?
- The hardest news that you have had to deal with.
- What is your most preferred dish?
- If you are given just one more day to live, what would you do?
Ideas on Personal Scholarship Essay about Yourself
- Tell us about your first-holiday experience in Asia?
- The most unfortunate event that ever happened to your family.
- Your first day as a sports team leader: What happened?
- The most important childhood memory.
- Your most memorable event with your parents away from home.
- Have you ever experienced failure?
- Games you cherished when you were a child.
- Why you will never tell a lie.
- One chore that you would love to do away with.
- Childhood games: Which ones did you fancy most?
- The biggest challenge that you have managed to overcome so far.
- Do you remember your younger sibling’s first birthday?
- Tell us something new that you learned away from school and home.
- Your first encounter with a wild animal.
- The first time that you were all alone at home.
- Your experience when you cooked the first meal.
- Fear in school: How did you overcome it?
- Your emotions when you helped someone.
- What could you live without?
- Where do you go to hide?
- One moment you wish you did things differently.
Narrative Personal Experience Essay Ideas
- Tell us more about the things that make you to feel elated.
- How did you celebrate your last summer holiday?
- What is your journey to the current healthy eating habits?
- Why did you prefer to be a vegetarian?
- How did you meet a famous person that you always wanted to?
- Something very important that you learned from your enemy.
- Did you ever bring home a wild animal?
- How did you overcome the fear of driving?
- A horrific accident that you witnessed.
- A friendship breakup that hurt you most.
- A nightmare that terrified you so much.
- A trip that ended in a disaster.
- Being a leader: Tell us your experience.
- The most difficult choice you had to make.
- A terrifying movie that you want to avoid even today.
- Place you try to avoid as much as possible.
- When a very close friend let you down.
- An experience that makes you to feel out of place.
- A person you do not like.
- A time you saw your parents cry.
Argumentative College Application Essay Topics
- Three things that you cannot live without.
- The importance of personal growth.
- Are you worried about the poor state of the environment?
- What do you think is the best way to address the problem of global warming?
- Leadership styles: What do you think is the best for moving forward a new organization?
- What is the best way to deal with bullies in school?
- Ethnic identity: Does it mean anything to you?
- Is money important for happiness?
- Gender roles in society: Do you think they are important?
- What are your thoughts about the LBGT community?
- What crosses your mind when a rumble of thunder roars in the sky?
- What do you love most about your best holiday destination?
- Cosmetic surgery: What do you think about it?
- Humans have become so reliant on technology: What is your opinion about it?
- Where do you think the earth will be in the next 20 years?
- COVID-19 pandemic has killed close to 4-million people: What is your reaction to this statement?
- Give a description of the ideal world that you would want to see and live in.
- Your best and worst presidents on the globe.
College Self-Reflection Essay Topics
- What is the meaning of success in your life?
- Is it possible to leave your comfort zone to pursue something?
- Freedom in your life: How does it matter?
- What is the main objective in your life?
- Have you ever fallen in love? Tell your experience?
- What is the thing that you hate most in your life?
- How did you meet your university colleague?
- What was your favorite subject?
- Your most favorite lecturer.
- What do you love most about your college?
- Extracurricular activities of choice in college.
- How do you think your college studies will help you to achieve your career goals?
- Renovating your room.
- Is college training enough to help address the societal problems being experienced today?
- An award ceremony you attended in college.
Persuasive Personal Essay Ideas
- What are your views about online education?
- Computer games: Can they make children to become violent?
- Should government ban ads on alcohol and cigarettes? What is your opinion?
- Hobbies: How do they affect your career?
- What is your opinion about products tested on animals?
- COVID-19 pandemic: What is your opinion about the global response?
- Five things the world can do to help reduce the current fast loss of biological diversity.
- Are we doing enough to address social injustices in the society?
- Your favorite hotel that you would want all people to visit.
- Every country is arming itself with more sophisticated weapons, including nuclear: Are we racing towards a more deadly WWIII?
- Do you think all circuses be banned?
- Online shopping: How has it changes the way you shop?
- Things that I want to do after my 50 th birthday.
- Would you recommend students to study abroad?
Personal Cause and Effect Essay Ideas
- The importance of learning mathematics in your career.
- What are the implications of being single in your life?
- How my brother and sister help me study.
- What makes you rebel against your brother.
- The impact of doing regular exercises on my health.
- How my best friend make me a better person.
- Believe in God: How it has changed your life.
- Why my hero inspires me so much
- My favorite childhood show characters and how they inspired my career choice.
- Things I created as a child and the meaning they have in my life.
- The most important nicknames that you had in life and why you dropped them.
- Rites of passage that you have gone through as a child.
- Who is to blame for poor leadership: Leaders or people who elect them?
- What is the best way to eradicate poverty?
Tell Us about Yourself Essay on Community and Home
- Would you prefer to live in the city or country?
- Talk about your neighborhood: How much does it define you?
- If you were given the opportunity, what would you name your neighborhood?
- Talk about three main characters that make your neighborhood interesting.
- What is the most stressful thing about your local city that you would want to see addressed immediately?
- Have you ever interacted with the police in your neighborhood?
- How much time do you spend in nature?
- How important is keeping your home clean?
- The meaning of color to you?
- If your home is in danger: What would you try to save?
- Reality TV shows: Do they promote immorality?
- Which musician do you think should be a superstar?
- Do you think video games should be considered sports?
- Truth and fiction: Where do you think the line should be drawn?
- Is art important in life: What are your thoughts?
A Personal Essay on about Legal and Political Systems
- If you were a political leader in your city, how would you budget the surplus?
- Do you consider security cameras an invasion of personal privacy?
- When rich people break the law, do you think they get off easier than others?
- Paying taxes: Do you support the idea that rich people should pay more?
- Mass shooting: What are your feelings about them?
- Death penalty: Do you support it for people convicted of murder?
- Should lecturers be allowed to carry guns in college?
- If one past US president was to be given another four-year term to rule, who would you propose?
- Your privacy or national security: What is more important?
- What would you do to improve the leadership of your organization?
- If you were to form a political party, what would you call it?
Health and Nutrition Essay about Yourself
- Is drinking still a challenge for the youths? What do you think can be done to address it?
- Do you think the government is doing enough to address the problem of obesity and overweight in the country?
- Should fast-food eateries be banned for causing health-related issues?
- Are you worried about the source of your food?
- Good nutrition or exercises: What do you think is more important?
- Do you think parents who give kids unhealthy nutrition should be prosecuted?
- Yung people should be allowed to choose what they eat in school: What is your take?
- Do you support the argument that “providing people with more information can help them make the right choices?”
- Should the government ration unhealthy foods?
- Do you support the use of drug tests in schools?
- An experience that you would never share with others.
- Do you support scientists’ efforts to help people look younger?
- Should people who are reckless in life be banned from getting organ transplants?
Seek Professional Help with Personal Essays about Yourself
This guide has provided a roadmap that you can use to prepare top-rated personal essays about yourself, but are you ready? Even when they have an idea of how to go about it, many are the students who lack the confidence to prepare them. For others, the process of writing quality essays about themselves is complex, or they lack time because of competing assignments. The good news is that no matter the reason making the essay challenging, it is possible to get help from our essay writing service. Here are some benefits of using professional writers to help with essay writing:
- The essay is prepared by professionals with a lot of experience on how to create a powerful intro, body, and conclusion for your work.
- The experts can work on any topic and guarantee you high quality essays online.
- Our trusted professionals are fast and can beat even the tightest deadline.
- Our custom essay writing service is cheap for all students to afford.
- The process of ordering is easy and fast.
Do not just prepare any essay and hand it over because it is likely to get you low marks or cost you the golden opportunity to join the college of choice. Let an expert in personal essay writing hold your hand to jump to the next level in your career!
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Loving our content?
As Putin continues killing civilians, bombing kindergartens, and threatening WWIII, Ukraine fights for the world's peaceful future.
Ukraine Live Updates
- Admission essays
- Buy essays online
- Essays for sale
- Pay for essays online
- Essay for money
- Essay editor
- Buy cheap essay
- Custom essay
- Original essays
- Scholarship essay
- English essays
- Write my college essay
- Persuasive essays
- Plagiarism free essays
- Essay samples
- Pay someone to write my essay
- Essay writing help
- Essay writing website
- Correct my essay
- Do my essay
- Proofread my essay
- Order essay
- Win scholarship
- Research paper writers
- Thesis writers
- Term paper writers
- Dissertation writers
Copyright - 2013 - 2023 - All rights reserved. USESSAYWRITERS.COM - ESSAY WRITING & EDITING SERVICES
- Research Paper Online
- Case Brief Writing
- Response Essay
- Article Critique Online
- Book Review Writing
- Letter Writing Service
- Memo Writing Assignment
- Literature Review Writing
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Dissertation Introduction
- Dissertation Results Section
- Speech Online
- Coursework Writing
- Business Plan from Professionals
- Editing Service
- Revision Assistance
- Excel Homework Help
- IB Extended Essay Help
- Grant Proposal Writing
- Discussion Board Post
- Literary Analysis Ideas
- Movie Review Assistance
- Book Report Help
- Motivation Letter Writing
- Article Writing
- Multiple Choice Question Help
- Questionnaire Paper
- Dissertation Hypothesis Writing
- Conclusion for Dissertation
- Annotated Bibliography
- Lab Report Writing Help
- Online Marketing Plan
- Proofreading Service
- PPT Poster Writing Service
- Affiliate Program
- Case Study Assistance
- Reaction Paper Online
- Article Review Assignment
- Movie Critique Paper
- Poem Writing Assistance
- Synopsis Writing Assistance
- Blog Article
- Essay Outline Writing
- Dissertation Writing Help
- Dissertation Methodology
- Thesis Writing Help
- Capstone Project Examples
- Business Report Writing Service
- White Paper Writing Service
- Rewriting Service
- PDF Poster Service
- How We Work
- Read Reviews
- Words to pages
- Pages to words
How to Start an Essay About Yourself: Useful Hints and Tips
Every student who has to create a reflective piece of writing is whether they are willing to write such kind of paper without making it sound selfish. It may seem easy to know how to start an essay about yourself. However, you should remember that even this type of paper has its specific structure and writing rules. For example, it is obligatory to follow particular writing style.
This article is dedicated to explaining the basic rules of writing a paper about oneself so that students had an opportunity to apply the tips in their day-to-day academic writing tasks.
Buy Research Papers In High Quality
Why to Write a Personal Essay
In college, 3 or 5 paragraph essay about yourself may be divided into the following types:
- Reflective essay
- Application essay
Usually, the first type is assigned to students in order to help them share their emotions and impressions about certain movie, book, experience, vacations, etc. while an application essay is referred to a more serious academic writing. It is considered to be a key to the college or university. The major idea of such paper is to show that the potential candidate suites best to the chosen college or university by emphasizing on his/her knowledge, skills, experience and future potential contribution to the selected field of study.
When a student wants to send an application to university or college, or apply to an extracurricular program, it is crucial for them to know how to start an essay about yourself.
Five Simple Steps to Write a Perfect essay
Prior to writing the essay, we recommend you to get acquainted with the below steps that will definitely help you to create an interesting essay.
- Select an interesting story you want to describe in your paper. It is crucial to provide a description of a particular moment that occurred in your life. There is no need to describe your whole life experience since it will be overwhelming for the reader.
- Determine the major objective of your paper. You should know why you want to tell this particular story to people. It is also crucial to read all the requirements and instructions provided by your teacher and follow them to the letter.
- Determine your target audience: try to think about people who will be your potential readers, try to imagine their expectations and interests. It is vital to meet or even exceed their expectations by catching their attention so that they are interested in reading your paper till the last page. So, your task is to grab reader’s attention from the first lines in your paper.
- Before creating the document, brainstorm interesting ideas. You can try using the below techniques:
- Make a list. Listing your thoughts and ideas you want to mention in your essay is a good idea. Reread the list and divide the ideas into groups.
- Try to practice freewriting. This technique is easy and effective at the same time. All you need to do is to write non-stop during ten minutes. After you are done, review what is written and use only information that is relevant to your future essay.
- Apply clustering approach. This is a graphical method where your task is to draw connections between the ideas and the selected topic and then you need to provide a description of the drawn connections.
- Questioning is also crucial. Question as much as you can about the topic and give answers in detail.
- Before writing your essay, make an outline. The more details you include in your outline the less time will be needed for creating your document. It is crucial to include the below three parts in your paper: intro, main body and conclusion. Perceive the outline like a map that will guide you through your own thoughts and ideas. This simple plan helps to save one’s time and efforts when writing academic papers.
Organization of Personal Essay Writing
As it has already been mentioned, it is crucial to write an outline before creating the very paper. Below you will find tips on how to organize your paper:
- Start from the introduction and grab readers’ attention from the first sentence. Do not use too complex and boring phrases because it will only kill the desire to read your paper. Provide a thesis statement, which is considered to be the main essay idea. Make sure the audience is provided a short story background at the beginning of your paper.
- Min body should be divided into a few paragraphs. You can write three to five paragraphs in order to make a smooth and coherent essay. It is important to follow the chronological order when writing your ideas and details.
- Finish your story with a logical conclusion. Here you can sum up the lesson you have learnt from the story you described. It is not supposed to be long. It can be written on less than a half of page.
When you have finally finished your paper, reread it attentively in order to detect any mistakes or misprints. Then you need to correct them so that the paper looks flawless. We hope that no you know how to start an essay about yourself. Try to use the tips we provided and create your perfect paper. That will attract attention of all potential readers.
Interesting Topics for Your Paper
- Roots of personal fears
- Best friend of mine
- Healthy meal and why I eat it
- How to behave with your home pet
- Why Christmas is more than a holiday to me and my family
- Personal root and how I found it
- My crazy life
- How I built a tree house
- My best outfit
- My personal experience as a tutor
- How to interpret my name
- My favorite movie or book
- The place I dream to visit on the holidays
- Imagining the dream career
- My future invention
When you want to write an essay but have no idea how to begin it, you can always resort to essay sample. Below you can find one of such samples that will definitely inspire you to start writing your own paper.
According to Erikson’s stages of psychological development, I successfully passed the first two stages called Hope and Willpower that spans between the ages 0 to 3 years. However, there was a negative impact during the Purpose stage of development that ranges between 4 to 6 years. This is a stage when a child’s life revolves around achieving autonomy that they hope will be instrumental to plan and execute onuses with minimal interference. The child develops a sense of initiative and a conviction to see to it that they complete anything they had started. The child at this stage confronts a very confusing emotion that’s/he finds unfathomable, uncontrollable and inexplicable: guilt. Guilt imperceptibly creeps into the child’s life in abstract manners since they are inclined to feel guilt for things that have no logical connection to their actions. It is during this time that my parents went through a divorced. I subliminally developed a sense of guilt since I was sent to live with my grandparents in Louisiana. I unequivocally missed the tender and loving care that I received from my mother after the change of environment. As a female I was more prone to attachment than males. Consequently, I was very much affected by the absence of my mother. I must have felt that I was paying for my bad actions by being taken to very austere guardians who would punish me regularly and put many restrictions in my life. . I was at Kohlberg’s 1st stage of moral development given the guilt and I constantly flogged myself believing my actions led to their separation hence my suffering This one year experience during my stay as I went to kindergarten followed me to elementary school . The nouveau culture of strictness greatly affected my sense of autonomy that impeded this development stage. This is because I was unable to feel independent whilst under the watchful eye of my strict grandparents. The guilt coupled with my curtailed autonomy led to dyslexia that I experienced when I joined elementary school. Given that I am female, the sex aspect exacerbated my performance in class since girls are known to be more timid but less rebellious than boys.
Despite having moved back to Dallas and living with my single mother, the breached process of development affected my performance in elementary school. This is because my stage of developing fully to be focused in my endeavors as a child was rudely interrupted when my environment changed. It also led to the learning difficulties that I experienced in school that led to my poor performance in class. I was not at liberty to establish autonomy and push myself to limits by trying out things without supervision. This was to present itself at the university as a problem that affected my undergraduate studies.
Living with my mother back in Dallas subconsciously relieved the psychological tension in my mind. It took me a while to adjust from the trauma but I gradually picked up and my Competence stage was seen to completion during my 1st to 8th grade as I lived with my mother. The cultural impact of not having a father figure might have affected my social life in the light of interaction with the opposite sex. Being a female the gender factor made me vulnerable to males moiré than they were vulnerable to me. So I got involved in a series of catastrophic relationships with boys. I was still struggling to complete the Autonomy stage at a belated age so it took me the whole of my elementary school years of study to go past it. The effects of completing the Competence stage were obscured by the struggle to complete the Autonomy stage. Therefore prowess in academics could not be manifested until my 9th to 12th grade.
My mother’s attention and encouragement saw me past the Erickson’s Fidelity stage. It also led to the further nurturing of the fist stage of Hope that explains why my relationships with people flourished at the 9th to 12th grade. This development was synergistic to the Erickson’s Fidelity stage of development. My mother did not have divided attention as to whether to look after me or to watch the drug abusing husband who was now out of our lives. This was instrumental to the sealing of the void that may have been existing impeding the completion of this first stage of Erickson’s development making me a socialite by default. Although it took time, the stage of autonomy was partly completed and I believed in doing things by myself. The sense in self belief led to my outstanding performance in high school since I could independently initiate and complete tasks. The Erickson’s Competence stage of development was manifested at a late stage but it was for my own good. I excelled in my AP classes, Task and all state wide assessment tests. I was able to be admitted to Texas State University in Houston. The smooth transition from the full developed competence stage to Ericson’s Fidelity stage of development explains my large circle of friends, my membership in the school choir and pep squads at games. I was at Kohlberg’s conventional stage of moral development therefore I worked hard to conform to the expectations of the society. I wanted to be called good and worked towards achieving it by pleasing my mother with the good report card. The Dallas environment was contusive for my studies with fewer antagonistic mechanisms hence I comfortably excelled.
The Erickson’s Love stage of development found me in Texas state university. I was not sure if I was loved and wanted to learn more about relating with the opposite sex. The repercussion of this was that I made bad decisions with boyfriends. I found myself inclined to having thugs and criminals for boyfriends in lieu of straight forward men. I was in a state of role confusion and I did not know exactly whether to approach life the high school way or a different way. That is when I plunged into identity crisis and became careless with my academic work. This can be exemplified by my first semester attendance stood at a mere 18hours! That did not bother me and it was a small part of the several immature decisions that I made. This led to my stay in Texas State University in pursuit of a Bachelors degree stretching for a whooping 8 years from 1992 to 2000. The environmental factors including keeping the company of delinquents must have contributed to my lack of seriousness in my studies. Furthermore, it is easier for a female than a male too be a follower hence the alpha male in the criminal group of friends was appealing to me to the point I forgot about my studies. I began displaying characteristics of a failed development through the Ericson’s Love stage of development. This was after having a baby two years after my graduation. I knew the father of the baby who he was a off-shore merchant marine. The circumstances surrounding my situation were expeditious to exacerbating the fear of rejection by the baby’s father. I had a feeling that my relationship with him would not work. At times, intimacy can be exhibited through distantiation making isolation and that is the step. I took by moving from Houston to Dallas. This was despite quitting my job that was the source of my pecuniary independence since isolation was the best move that I deemed to be pertinent at that point in time. Isolation overrides rationale and that is why I gave up my job in a bid to avert speculated rejection. This is because of my familiarity with pain and my ego could not stand the possibility of suffering another blow that stems from painful rejection. I feared the break-up more than being broke. As part of this stage of development, it took me 6 years to establish my identity to establish my identity. The Dallas environment is what I deem good for the raising of my child since that was the springboard to my success. I believe that Dallas is a place to where I achieve clarity in thought and I am predisposed to inflect better in this environment. After establishing my identity as a single mother, I made a move that is a typical characteristic of the Love stage of development by making a long term commitment to my child and no one else. We therefore exist as a tightly knit family of two: my child and I. Another long term commitment I made is to commit myself to listening to other people. I therefore love listening and analyzing people’s situations seeing their points of views and giving empathetic advice and let them know people care. I decided to acquire my degree in counseling and further my career in something that can give me fulfillment. I believe that I am at the very early stage of Kohlberg’s the post-conventional stage of moral development where I am now enlightened by experience, laws, and I reason from a more clear perspective. I know societal expectations.
The Kohlberg’s model of moral development is in tandem with Erickson’s model of development. The two complement each other so well that it is now clear why I did some action back in my formative years all the way to my adulthood. The gender, environmental and cultural factors are synergistic to these development stages since eliminating them would lead to a grossly erroneous conclusion as to why I to up the above-mentioned development pattern.
Questions and Answers
- What should you write about oneself?
Well, it is really easy. For instance, you can write about your best achievements, virtues, values and beliefs; describe your talents and hobbies. You can always tell a story how you developed one of your best talents. How you decided to do it? In addition, you can write about your own challenges and how you overcome them.
- How to write a bio about oneself?
Autobiography writing involves reflections about one’s life and experiences. It is important to list and select crucial moments that were important in making your life path and improving yourself as a personality.
- How to create an intro about oneself?
You can always start with describing your most interesting and exciting experience or telling a story about a certain moment in your life. Moreover, you can describe a situation that you faced in your life and how you managed to cope with it.
We Can Write a Personal Essay for You
Writing a personal essay can take different shapes. Some of them may seem to be really complex for students. However, it is always possible to improve your writing skills when you follow professional advice. Another option of getting a perfect paper is by asking a professional writer to assist you with writing process.
At Essays-Service.com you are free to choose the preferred writer. You can cooperate with the assigned writer by providing instructions and requirements, monitoring the writing process and giving feedback. In addition, if you notice that some requirements are not met, you are free to ask for revision of your essay.
- 2022 March
- 2022 January
- 2021 August
- 2021 June
- 2021 May
- 2021 February
- 2020 December
- 2020 October
- 2020 August
- 2020 July
- 2020 May
- 2020 April
- 2020 March
- 2020 February
- 2020 January
- 2019 December
- 2019 November
- 2019 October
- 2019 August
- 2019 July
- 2019 June
March 21, 2022
January 21, 2022
August 18, 2021
June 16, 2021
May 18, 2021
- Call Now! (USA) Login Order now
- CustomEssayOrder.com Call Now! (USA) Order now
How to Write an Essay about Myself, Writing Guide
How to start, how to write an outline, personal essay outline example, how to write an introduction, how to write a thesis statement, example of a thesis for an essay about myself, example of an introduction for an essay describing myself, how to write body paragraphs, tips on body writing, example of body paragraphs, how to conclude, example of a personal essay conclusion, paper revision, need a custom paper, how to write good essay describing myself.
Writing an essay about yourself can be challenging mainly because there is always a lot to say about oneself, especially if there is a scholarship or a college vacancy in line. People often have a lot to say whenever they are given a chance to talk or write about themselves, and this can also be a problem. Having too much information on a topic always presents writers with issues, especially when trying to formulate an introduction. On most occasions, writers are often asked to find an angle and then conduct research within the lines of their angle. However, writing a custom essay about yourself presents a major challenge mainly because people want to include all details about themselves. While it can be a challenge, an essay about yourself should not be a troubling exercise.
When you visit different custom writing services, a majority of them ask students to always begin task by preparing an outline. An outline saves you time to formulate your arguments as you write an essay. It also helps you to decide on the scope of an essay early and thus write the essay in line with the range. Here is an example of an outline:
An outline saves you time to formulate your arguments as you write an essay. It also helps you to decide on the scope of an essay early and thus write the essay in line with the range. Here is an example of an outline:
- Introduce yourself. Your name, what you do, where you are from, your family background, etc.
- An experience of being bullied.
- Thesis statement detailing the effects and trauma that ensues after a bullying experience.
- Why the bullying occurred.
- Effects or the bullying (Psychological and physical)
- How you coped or eventually overcame the effects.
- Restate the thesis statement.
- How I have helped some of my juniors to cope with the effects of bullying.
- Emphasis on the steps needed to eliminate bullying in schools and communities.
Writing an introduction allows you to draw people into your own writing. To properly write an introduction, you need to know about your research, how you are going to structure your essay, and also pertinent background information. Here are tips on how to start an essay about myself:
- Write down some qualities about yourself i.e. your interests, your major experiences, your family background, your achievements, etc.
- Narrow the scope of your topic. The details gathered in the first step will be many. However, focusing on each is not reasonable, therefore, select a single topic and focus on it while describing yourself in great detail.
- Begin the essay by providing simple details about yourself, such as your name, what you do currently, and why you do what you do.
- Embrace modesty. While you might have accomplished a lot of things in your life, it is important to use phrases such as I was lucky enough, I was honored to, etc. The audience will appreciate your achievements and will not feel intimidated.
To write a thesis statement, make sure that you have all your research to hand, and then figure out what your main argument is. This is your thesis statement, and it should be no longer than two sentences at a maximum.
The bullying I suffered throughout an important part of my life has had a huge and adverse effect on me in many ways.
Bullying is something which we should really pay more attention to. The bullying I suffered throughout an important part of my life has had a huge and adverse effect on me in many ways. The way that the bullying occurred, the effects it has left on me, and the way I have managed to move past it have all shaped my world today.
After the introduction, the next part involves supporting your angle or the aspect of your life you decided to focus on. In all essay writing exercises, this part is always crucial and often determines whether after capturing the attention of your audience, the writer will be able to maintain their attention. It is, therefore, essential for writers to ensure they are detailed and precisely stick to their thesis or focus. Therefore, when asked to write an essay, especially a personal essay, it is important for the writer to focus on a particular aspect which will guide or dictate the flow of the entire essay.
- Make use of topic sentences. Each paragraph should start with an argument that seeks to support the thesis statement.
- Make your body paragraphs detailed. While describing yourself, make sure you are detailed and never leave the reader guessing.
- Make use of examples. If, for example, you decided to focus on some of your high school swimming competitions, it is important to give specific examples and take your readership through one scene or competition. These help your essay and makes it possible for the audience to identify with your personal struggles or achievements.
Example of the 1st body paragraph
I honestly do not know why I was targeted by bullies for so long; they simply saw me as a target. My bullies were unknown to me – we weren’t in the same year at school, but they made my life a misery.
Example of the 2nd body paragraph
Bullying has much longer effects than we normally imagine. I have still had a mental trauma for my years of being bullied, and have sought therapy for the mental illnesses that accompanied it. Though the bullying rarely escalated beyond verbal, I do still also carry some scars from that time. Fortunately, I have also begun to move past things.
Example of the 3rd body paragraph
There are a number of ways to cope with mental trauma, fortunately. Which one will work depends entirely on you. For me, getting into therapy was intensely beneficial, as was gaining a support network, with whom I learned to share, and could rely on.
How to conclude an essay about myself is the second part of essay writing that can be a huge challenge. The truth is, the story of your life is still continuing, and it can be a problem to find a suitable end. However, here are some tips to help you write a conclusion for your personal essay:
- Choose moments that reflect changes or the beginning of change.
- Use an end that also mirrors the introduction of the essay.
- Restate all your arguments.
- Come to a final conclusion.
Bullying is something that truly has affected me over the years. The bullying I suffered throughout an important part of my life has had a huge and adverse effect on me in many ways. We need to pay more attention to bullying, sorting out how it happens, and sorting out how to deal with it. We can improve any number of lives by doing this.
Revision should have attention paid to it because it is just as important as writing. It is everything that happens after the initial writing is done, and covers all manner of improvements and changes.
- Check that all the necessary elements are there.
- Check for grammar and spelling errors.
- Check for formatting issues.
- Specifically check your bibliography.
- Make sure that your work correlates to the citation style asked for.
Apply to our $10,000 No Essay Scholarship! →
- Search All Scholarships
- Easy Scholarships to Apply For
- No Essay Scholarships
- Scholarships for HS Juniors
- Scholarships for HS Seniors
- Scholarships for College Students
- Scholarships for Grad Students
- Scholarships for Women
- Scholarships for Black Students
- Student Loans
- College Admissions
- Financial Aid
- Scholarship Winners
Top Easy Scholarships Due Soon
Scholarships360 $10,000 "No Essay" Scholarship
Deadline: June 30, 2024
Niche $50,000 No Essay Scholarship
Deadline: December 14, 2023
$2,000 Sallie Mae Scholarship (open to HS Juniors and above!)
Deadline: November 30, 2023
Student-centric advice and objective recommendations
Higher education has never been more confusing or expensive. Our goal is to help you navigate the very big decisions related to higher ed with objective information and expert advice. Each piece of content on the site is original, based on extensive research, and reviewed by multiple editors, including a subject matter expert. This ensures that all of our content is up-to-date, useful, accurate, and thorough.
Our reviews and recommendations are based on extensive research, testing, and feedback. We may receive commission from links on our website, but that doesn’t affect our editors’ opinions. Our marketing partners don’t review, approve or endorse our editorial content. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge when posted. You can find a complete list of our partners here .
How to Write an Essay About Yourself
Writing an essay about yourself is no easy feat — although you may know yourself better than anyone, it can be tough to get the perspective needed to write about yourself in essay form. Despite its challenges, writing essays about yourself is one of the most crucial skills in the college application process, and we have some key tricks to make it easier. Keep on reading to learn about some of our best techniques to write about yourself naturally!
- Outline your experiences
Ask friends and family for input
- Don’t be too humble…
- Let your personality shine!
Read more: How to start a scholarship essay (with examples)
Outline your impactful experiences
Before you dig into prompts, try writing out a bullet-point list of meaningful experiences you’ve had. Underneath each bullet point, reflect on what they might demonstrate. Here’s an example:
- Working as part of a team
- Learning to balance school and work responsibilities
- Honing communication skills
- Developing writing skills
- Fostering a passion for my school community
- Learning to meet deadlines and balance responsibilities
- Learning to balance school and volunteer responsibilities
- Gaining an attention to detail
This is a little different than a typical resume — rather than focusing on your specific duties, try to focus on how the experience shaped your character. If you notice a lot of overlap between the experiences, that’s perfect! You can point out these recurring themes to make for an effective essay with a strong overarching point. Making lists like this early on in your writing stage can be helpful, and you may find yourself coming back to consult the list for many future essays.
Also recommended: Top essay & writing scholarships
When writing about yourself, it is important to reflect on your strengths, and who is better to do that than a supportive team of family and friends?
Consulting family and friends is a great way to learn about strengths that you might not even know you had. Your friends choose to hang out with you for a reason, and they often notice your good qualities that you take for granted. Having your friends point these out can be useful for an essay, as well as a general pick-me-up!
And if you’re looking for a perfect anecdote to answer a prompt like “How have you demonstrated a commitment to your community ,” who better to remember your past acts of kindness than your parents?
Is it okay to ask friends and family to read my essay and offer feedback?
Some students may be wondering, is it okay to ask for additional help from friends and family? And the short answer is: absolutely. Additional essay reviewers can offer valuable feedback as you write your essay. With this said, students should make sure that they are maintaining their own voice in the essay. Outside reviewers should not be rewriting the essay or having a heavy hand in changing the written voice.
Don’t miss: How to respond to the Common App essay prompts
Don’t be too humble
There is a time and a place for humility. But don’t worry if you feel like your essay is verging on the braggadocios. These essays are an opportunity to showcase your best qualities, and you should not be worried about putting your best foot forward and telling the reader all the reasons why they should be impressed by you.
What makes these essays effective is that they both include your relevant experiences and demonstrate why they are so significant. You may feel as though you are making mountains out of molehills, but it’s important to emphasize the importance of your experiences. This is the main objective of writing about yourself.
Also recommended: How to write a 500 word essay
Let your personality come through
Most essays written about yourself will be written in first-person. This provides a perfect opportunity to add some flair to your writing. While your first priority is to include impactful examples and communicate your points effectively, it is also important to leave a lasting impression on the reader.
If you see an opportunity to show off your sense of humor or use a more personal tone, don’t be afraid to do it. As long as your remarks are appropriate, on-topic, and not too frequent, they can help put you ahead of the pack.
Recommended: How does an admissions officer read your application and essays?
A great trick for becoming comfortable writing essays about yourself is to try keeping a journal. Journaling helps eliminate the pressure of writing an essay while helping you become comfortable writing about yourself in an informal setting. Spending 10 or 15 minutes every night writing about your day, or answering some informal prompts can help you to get more in touch with yourself and jog your memory about past events that could be useful for an essay.
Don’t miss: Scholarships360’s free scholarship search tool
Next steps for students
Now you’ve learned about the goals and techniques for writing an essay about yourself. Your next step should be to focus on making your writing effective and efficient. Make sure that your conclusion ties everything together impactfully . And once you’ve finished your draft, ask family members, friends, or college counselors to read over it and provide suggestions. Good luck, writers!
Related: Overview of common scholarship essay prompts
Frequently asked questions about how to write an essay about yourself
How do you make yourself write an essay, how do you start off an essay about yourself, what are the 3 main parts of an essay, scholarships360 recommended.
10 Tips for Successful College Applications
Coalition vs. Common App: What is the difference?
College Application Deadlines 2023-2024: What You Need to Know
PSAT to SAT Score Conversion: Predict Your Score
How to Convert Your GPA to a 4.0 Scale
What Are Public Ivy League Schools?
Apply to the $10,000 "no essay" scholarship.
This easy scholarship is open to all US-based high school, college, and graduate students!
Descriptive Essay About Myself
Crafting the Perfect Descriptive Essay About Myself - Tips and Tricks
Published on: Jan 24, 2023
Last updated on: Oct 16, 2023
People also read
Descriptive Essay - A Complete Guide
Descriptive Essay Examples & Writing Tips
Top 100+ Descriptive Essay Topics & Ideas
Creating a Descriptive Essay Outline - Format & Example
Crafting an Authentic Portrait: A Guide to Writing a Descriptive Essay About a Person
Writing a Descriptive Essay About A Place - Guide With Examples
How to Craft the Perfect Descriptive Essay About A Person You Admire
Descriptive Essay About My Mother - A Guide to Writing
Delicious Descriptions: A Guide to Writing a Descriptive Essay About Food
Write A Descriptive Essay About Nature With This Guide
Learn Tips to Write a Descriptive Essay About Autumn - Step into the Golden Season
Share this article
Writing an essay about yourself can be tough - especially if you're not sure where to begin.
Not to worry! Writing an essay about yourself doesn't have to be difficult. With a little bit of pre-planning and organization, you can easily craft the perfect descriptive essay.
In this guide, you will find some simple tips and tricks to help you write the perfect descriptive essay about yourself. So continue reading to learn more!
On This Page On This Page
What is a Descriptive Essay?
Before you jump into writing your essay, it's important to understand the basics of a descriptive essay.
A descriptive essay is a type of essay that requires you to describe something in detail. The goal is to provide readers with a full description and make them feel as though they're experiencing it themselves.
That’s why, it's important to include details so readers can connect with the you on a deeper level.
Tips to Write a "Descriptive Essay About Myself"
Now you must be asking yourself, "how do I write a descriptive essay about myself?"
Once you understand what a descriptive essay is, you'll want to start brainstorming ideas for your essay.
Here are some tips to help you craft the perfect descriptive essay about yourself
- Brainstorm & Define Your Subject Matter
Begin by thinking of something about yourself. For instance, your interests, personality traits, or important life events. Once you have your subject matter in mind, define it more specifically so that it’s easier to discuss in detail.
- Make a List of Key Qualities
Once you have your subject matter defined, make a list of key qualities that you’d like to focus on. This will help guide the structure and content of your essay.
- Gather Examples
Collect real-life examples that support your key qualities. These can be stories, anecdotes, or events. This will help make your essay more engaging and informative for readers.
- Use Creative Writing Techniques
When writing a personal essay about yourself, don’t be afraid to get creative! Try using vivid language and descriptive words to bring your essay to life.
- Use Anecdotes & Stories
Incorporate stories and anecdotes into your essay to make it more engaging. This will also help readers connect with you on a deeper level.
- Give Detailed Descriptions
Make sure to include lots of details in your description and be as specific as possible. This will help readers understand and visualize your subject matter.
- Keep it Positive
Make sure to focus on the positive aspects when writing about yourself. This will help readers walk away with a good impression of you.
Finishing Your Essay
- Check & Revise
Once you’re done writing, be sure to take the time to read and revise your essay . Read through your essay one last time and look for typos, spelling errors, or grammatical mistakes. This will help make sure that all of your ideas are well-organized and error-free
- Get Feedback
Once you’re done revising, ask someone to read your essay and give feedback. This can be a friend, an English teacher, or a professional essay writer . They may have some helpful suggestions that can help you strengthen your argument and make it more compelling.
Descriptive Essay About Myself Examples
Before you get started, it can be helpful to look at some sample essays. Here are few good essays you should check out!
Here are some examples for inspiration:
Sample of Descriptive Essay About Myself
Example of a Descriptive Essay About Myself
Descriptive Essay About Yourself Example
500 Words Essay About Myself
Short Essay About Myself
Read more descriptive essay examples to know how descriptive essays are written.
"Descriptive Essay About Myself" Topics
It can be hard to know where to start when writing an essay about yourself.
Here are some topic ideas to get you started:
- Describe your life experiences during high school
- Describe your favorite sport or hobby you do in free time
- Tell a story from your childhood
- Describe the most important lesson you've ever learned
- Describe your goals in life
- Talk about the most meaningful moment in your life
- Describe a challenge you've faced and how you overcame it
- Describe an experience that changed your life
- Discuss ways in which you've grown as a person
These topics will give you a great starting point for your essay. You are free to explore whatever topics feel most relevant and meaningful to you.
You can also take a look at other descriptive essay topics here.
With these examples and tips in mind, you would have no problem writing a compelling and descriptive essay about yourself.
However, don't worry if you need expert help to write your essay! We've got you covered!
We at MyPerfectWords.com offer descriptive essay writing service to help you craft the perfect essay. Our descriptive essay writers are capable of creating any type of academic assignment.
We understand how important your work is, so we use only reliable sources and guarantee originality. Get in touch with the best essay writing service online today.
Caleb S. (Marketing, Literature)
Caleb S. has been providing writing services for over five years and has a Masters degree from Oxford University. He is an expert in his craft and takes great pride in helping students achieve their academic goals. Caleb is a dedicated professional who always puts his clients first.
Paper Due? Why Suffer? That’s our Job!
We value your privacy
Website Data Collection
Are you sure you want to cancel?
Your preferences have not been saved.
Tuition & Fees
Blog & News
- CA BPPE information
- CA BPPE website
- Campus Safety
- CARES Act HEERF reporting
- Code of Ethics
- Consumer Information Guide
- Equal Employment Opportunities
- Regulatory information
- Student Complaint Process
- Supplier opportunities
- Title IX information
Education is, first of all, prestige. Historically, smart, educated people in society are treated with greater respect than ignoramuses who have not learned a single day. Education is the possession of.
Bachelor of Science in Business
Take the first steps today..
Pursue your goals
- Plan for College and Career
- Take the ACT
- School and District Assessment
- Career-Ready Solutions
- News & Blog
- Students & Parents
- Open Search Form
- Open Notifications
- ACT Non-U.S.
- MyACT Sign In
- The ACT Test
- Test Center Locator
- High School Codes Lookup
- Photo Submission Requirements
- Standby Testing
- Accommodations and Supports
- Test Prep *
- Free ACT Test Prep
- Official ACT Subject Guides
- The Official ACT Prep Guide
- ACT Kaplan Test Prep Suite
- Rescheduled Test Centers
- CAS Calculator FAQ
- Understanding Your Scores
- College Codes Lookup
- How to Send Scores
- Request a Copy of Your Questions and Answers
- How Schools Use Scores
- When to Take the ACT
Other ACT Services and Products
Limited Time Offer - BOGO - Buy One ACT Test, Get One Free!
Act test prep, delivered by the experts, designed to fit your study preferences and your budget., when it comes to test prep, we've got you covered, the official act live online class, powered by kaplan.
A team of top-rated teachers show students what to study and how to study during a series of engaging live classes. Get all of your questions answered in real time. Learn more about ACT Live Online .
Want to try before you buy? Sign up for a FREE class!
(You will be asked to sign in or create an account to purchase this product.)
The Official ACT Self-Paced Course, Powered by Kaplan
Learn anywhere, anytime with on-demand tutorials. These bite-sized lessons offer the perfect mix of structure and flexibility. Learn more about ACT Self-Paced Course .
(You will be asked to log in or create an account to purchase this product.)
The Official ACT Tutoring, Powered by Kaplan
Learn test content and test-day strategies in individual tutoring sessions led by an expert from Kaplan, who will adapt to your needs in real time, answer your questions, and provide you with personalized recommendations. Learn more about ACT Tutoring.
The Official ACT Prep and Subject Guides 2023-2024 Complete Set
Get everything you need to do your best on the ACT test with The Official ACT Prep & Subject Guides 2023-2024 Complete Set. The only study resource including official practice questions and full explanations covering all sections of the ACT, this set delivers maximum practice in one convenient package—and helps you save big on prep.
The Official ACT Prep Guide 2023-2024 Edition
The ACT Official Prep Guide offers 8 full-length practice tests, 400+ digital flashcards, and helpful tips and tools to help you do your best on the ACT. Learn more about the Prep Guide .
ACT Official Subject Guides – 2nd Edition
The Official ACT Subject Guides are individual prep books perfect for students who want to practice a specific subject to improve their test scores. With 200 new questions and explanations in each subject! Learn more about the Subject Guides.
ACT Test Guide 2023-2024
Maybe you've been planning your future for years. Maybe you're ready to start exploring opportunities. Wherever life takes you, ACT will help you get there.
This guide was designed to make understanding all things ACT as simple as possible. With information about ACT test dates, fee waivers, and test prep, you'll find everything you need to succeed on test day.
*The dates in this document are subject to change. The most up-to-date information is available through your MyACT account.
Get the FREE ACT Test ® Guide for 2023-2024
Want free act test prep.
Elevate your test prep with more official ACT test prep resources!
This action will open a new window. Do you want to proceed?
Welcome to ACT
If you are accessing this site from outside the United States, Puerto Rico, or U.S. Territories, please proceed to the non-U.S. version of our website.
Chat AI Assistant - Ask Me Anything
Chatgpt for pc allows you to chat with chatgpt right from your pc and also generate ai images. it can help you: ✅brainstorming ideas 💡 ✅write essays 📝 ✅save your chats for late use💾 ✅coding questions 💻 ✅generate ai images🖼️ ✅explanation of different concepts 🤔 ✅learning a new language 🌎 ✅casual conversation with intelligent ai 🤖 ✅find ideas for an essay or report 🔍 ✅generate boilerplate code snippets 🔥 ✅find errors in code 🐛 ✅reformat and correct your grammar 📝 ✅generate common business documents, such as thank you emails 📩 🤔works by interfacing with large language models such as : ☑️chatgpt-4 ☑️text-davinci (gpt-3 model) how will it make you life easier ⏺️get inspired and increase your productivity with our app ⏺️simplify your essay writing process with our app ⏺️ace coding questions with confidence with our app ⏺️learn new concepts easily and quickly with our app ⏺️immerse yourself in a new language with our app ⏺️enjoy the convenience of ai conversations with our app ⏺️get the best ideas for your essays or reports with our app ⏺️automatically generate boilerplate code snippets with our app ⏺️detect and fix errors in code with our app ⏺️receive instant grammar corrections with our app uses large language models that are trained on large text that enable the models to inhibit human-like intelligence when responding to prompts. where gpt stands for generative pre-trained transformer neural network, providing you with chatgpt for windows 10 and windows 11. ➤ what’s included ✅ free the free version of fusion comes with free limited credits that you can use to try out fusion chat and understand how it works. the free account comes with 50 credits, which are equivalent to 5000 words generated. premium fusion chat premium includes the following features which have high availability, with blazing first ai responses. premium accounts start at $7.99 with 1000 credits which is equivalent to 100,000 words generated/month. users can also refill their credits where the in-product purchase cost from $4-$10 , 4/25/2023 1:07:22 pm, fusion chat ai assistant software license agreement important: please read this agreement carefully before using fusion chat ai assistant software (the "software"). 1. license grant. the software, including any updates and upgrades, is licensed to you by fusion chat. for use only under the terms of this license agreement. 2. restrictions. you may not copy, modify, distribute, sell or transfer the software, or any portion thereof, without the prior written consent of fusion chat. the software is licensed, not sold, to you for use only under the terms of this license agreement. 3. in-app purchases. the software may include in-app purchases that allow you to purchase additional features or functionality. you are solely responsible for any and all charges incurred through in-app purchases. 4. ownership. fusion chat. owns all right, title and interest in and to the software including all intellectual property rights. 5. termination. this license agreement is effective until terminated. your rights under this license agreement will terminate automatically without notice if you fail to comply with any term hereof. 6. disclaimer of warranties. the software is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, fusion chat. disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. 7. limitation of liability. to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, in no event shall fusion chat. be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of business profits, business interruption, loss of business information or other pecuniary loss) arising out of the use or inability to use the software, even if fusion chat. has been advised of the possibility of such damages. 8. governing law. this license agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the state/province/country in which fusion chat. is located. 9. entire agreement. this license agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and fusion chat. with respect to the software and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals, whether oral or written, between you and fusion chat. by using the software, you agree to be bound by the terms of this license agreement. if you do not agree to the terms of this license agreement, do not use the software..