- Home & Garden
Master the Five-Paragraph Essay
The five-paragraph essay is one of the most common composition assignments out there, whether for high school or college students. It is a classic assignment because it presents an arena in which writers can demonstrate their command of language and punctuation, as well as their logic and rhetorical skills. These skills are useful not only for classroom assignments and college application essays, but even in the business world, as employees have to write memorandums and reports, which draw on the same skills.
Mastering the five-paragraph essay is doable, and here are some tips.
Components of a Good Essay
The five-paragraph essay lives up to its name, because is has five paragraphs, as follows: an introductory paragraph that includes a thesis, three body paragraphs, each which includes support and development, and one concluding paragraph.
Its structure sometimes generates other names for the same essay, including three-tier essay, one-three-one, or a hamburger essay. Whether you are writing a cause-and-effect essay, a persuasive essay, an argumentative essay or a compare-and-contrast essay, you should use this same structure and the following specifics.
Keys to Introductory Paragraphs
Any introductory paragraph contains from three to five sentences and sets up the tone and structure for the whole essay. The first sentence should be a so-called hook sentence and grabs the reader. Examples of hook sentences include a quote, a joke, a rhetorical question or a shocking fact. This is the sentence that will keep your readers reading. Draw them in.
What Makes a Thesis Statement
The last sentence should be your thesis statement, which is the argument you are going to make in the essay. It is the sentence that contains the main point of the essay, or what you are trying to prove. It should be your strongest claim in the whole essay, telling the reader what the paper is about. You should be able to look back at it to keep your argument focused. The other sentences in this paragraph should be general information that links the first sentence and the thesis.
Content of Supporting Paragraphs
Each of the next three paragraphs follows the same general structure of the introductory paragraph. That is, they have one introduction sentence, evidence and arguments in three to five sentences, and a conclusion. Each one of them should define and defend your thesis sentence in the introduction.
The first body paragraph should be dedicated to proving your most powerful point. The second body paragraph can contain your weakest point, because the third body paragraph can, and should, support another strong argument.
Concluding Paragraph Tips
Your concluding paragraph is important, and can be difficult. Ideally, you can begin by restating your thesis. Then you can recall or restate all three to five of your supporting arguments. You should summarize each main point. If you have made similar arguments multiple times, join those together in one sentence.
Essentially, in the concluding or fifth paragraph, you should restate what your preceding paragraphs were about and draw a conclusion. It should answer the question: So what? Even if the answer seems obvious to you, write it down so that your reader can continue to easily follow your thinking process, and hopefully, agree with you.
A Note on Compare and Contrast
Let’s look a little more closely at the compare-and-contrast essay, which is a very common assignment. It can be a confusing one due to the terms used. Comparing two items is to show how they are alike. Contrasting two items is to show how they are different. One way to approach this essay is to make a grid for yourself that compares or contrasts two items before you start writing. Then, write about those characteristics. Do not try to write about both. The name of the essay is actually misleading.
Keep these pointers in mind when you need to write a five-paragraph essay, and your end result will be clear in its argument, leading your reader to the right conclusion. Often, that conclusion is to agree with you, and who doesn’t like to be right?
MORE FROM LIFE123.COM
What's Your Question?
10 Great Essay Writing Tips
Knowing how to write a college essay is a useful skill for anyone who plans to go to college. Most colleges and universities ask you to submit a writing sample with your application. As a student, you’ll also write essays in your courses. Impress your professors with your knowledge and skill by using these great essay writing tips.
Prepare to Answer the Question
Most college essays ask you to answer a question or synthesize information you learned in class. Review notes you have from lectures, read the recommended texts and make sure you understand the topic. You should refer to these sources in your essay.
Plan Your Essay
Many students see planning as a waste of time, but it actually saves you time. Take a few minutes to think about the topic and what you want to say about it. You can write an outline, draw a chart or use a graphic organizer to arrange your ideas. This gives you a chance to spot problems in your ideas before you spend time writing out the paragraphs.
Choose a Writing Method That Feels Comfortable
You might have to type your essay before turning it in, but that doesn’t mean you have to write it that way. Some people find it easy to write out their ideas by hand. Others prefer typing in a word processor where they can erase and rewrite as needed. Find the one that works best for you and stick with it.
View It as a Conversation
Writing is a form of communication, so think of your essay as a conversation between you and the reader. Think about your response to the source material and the topic. Decide what you want to tell the reader about the topic. Then, stay focused on your response as you write.
Provide the Context in the Introduction
If you look at an example of an essay introduction, you’ll see that the best essays give the reader a context. Think of how you introduce two people to each other. You share the details you think they will find most interesting. Do this in your essay by stating what it’s about and then telling readers what the issue is.
Explain What Needs to be Explained
Sometimes you have to explain concepts or define words to help the reader understand your viewpoint. You also have to explain the reasoning behind your ideas. For example, it’s not enough to write that your greatest achievement is running an ultra marathon. You might need to define ultra marathon and explain why finishing the race is such an accomplishment.
Answer All the Questions
After you finish writing the first draft of your essay, make sure you’ve answered all the questions you were supposed to answer. For example, essays in compare and contrast format should show the similarities and differences between ideas, objects or events. If you’re writing about a significant achievement, describe what you did and how it affected you.
Stay Focused as You Write
Writing requires concentration. Find a place where you have few distractions and give yourself time to write without interruptions. Don’t wait until the night before the essay is due to start working on it.
Read the Essay Aloud to Proofread
When you finish writing your essay, read it aloud. You can do this by yourself or ask someone to listen to you read it. You’ll notice places where the ideas don’t make sense, and your listener can give you feedback about your ideas.
Avoid Filling the Page with Words
A great essay does more than follow an essay layout. It has something to say. Sometimes students panic and write everything they know about a topic or summarize everything in the source material. Your job as a writer is to show why this information is important.
MORE FROM QUESTIONSANSWERED.NET
My First Day at College Essay | 2nd Year, 1st Year | 1000 Words
My First Day at College
College is dreamland of every student’s educational career. It is a beautiful period of learning, enjoyment, freedom and friendship. Sweet memories of college life are simply amazing. They have an everlasting impact on human memory.
1. What a beautiful chapter of a student’s life, College life is!
2. Colleges are places where pebbles are polished and diamonds are dimmed.
3. Life in a college is more than a serious effort to get education. Moreover college is a place of making friends and chalking programs to go out to the pictures, cinemas and picnics.
College life has its own charm and beauty. Each and every moment spent there is always worth-living, worth-enjoying and also worth-remembering. Out of all the days, we can never forget the first day of college life.
4. A New place and a New Life with a New lifestyle.
First day of college is really very special and memorable for every student. The first of anything impresses us most. That is why we hardly ever forget our first love, our first success, our first friend. Likewise, we cannot forget our first day at college, the day that symbolizes the transition period from one life, so to say, into another. It comes to my mind again and again with those alien but lively feelings, those impressions, and sights and sounds.
At last the result of matriculation examination was declared and I came out with flying colors. After I passed my school examination with good grades, many excited and heated discussions took place on the choice of subjects and college. I decided to take admission in Government College which was the biggest college of my city. I had heard a lot of stories about college life from my elder sibling and relatives. According to them college is not as strict as school. I was full of excitement, inner joy and high hopes for a promising future. I thought college life would be full of pleasures and of course it was. College life is not as strict as the school life.
On the very first day, I got up early in the morning as I was much excited for the college life. I offered Dawn Prayer and took a hearty bath and got ready for the college. I could even do breakfast because of excitement. As soon as I stepped into the college, I felt like I have entered a new world. It was indeed a completely new world for me. The college had a wonderful building, lovely playgrounds and devoted Professors. The grand traditions, good mannerism, and liberal atmosphere made a great difference to my life. My first-day entry in college always fascinates me. My first day was an unforgettable experience of my educational life.
5. My impressions of the first day at college are still fresh in my memory. It seems impossible to erase those Sweet memories.
On first September, I got up early in the morning, took bath and said my prayers. Meanwhile, my mother prepared breakfast for me. I hurriedly took my breakfast and went to college by bus. As soon as I stepped into the college, I felt like I have entered a new world. It was indeed a completely new world for me. The college had a wonderful building, lovely playgrounds and devoted Professors. The grand traditions, good mannerism, and liberal atmosphere made a great difference to my life. My first-day entry in college always fascinates me. When I reached the gate of the college, some senior students of the college were standing there. Some of them where in a jolly mood and wanted to befool the new-comers. They had worked out their own plans to make the new-comers indulge in strange actions. However, we decided to act together to avoid their practical jokes. Some of the senior were approaching us with an air of superiority. They were large in number so they made us subdue immediately. They asked us to do strange things like singing ridiculous songs and doing monkey pranks. The sense of self- respect did not allow me to act according to their wishes. Still they forced me to obey their orders. I felt a little humiliated but took it sportingly.
Meanwhile, a senior Professor of the college came to our rescue. He asked the boys to assemble in the hall were the Principal would address them. We want to the hall. The Principal addressed the students and advised them not to take part in politics at college. They should pay full attention to their studies and try their best to achieve their goal. Afterwards, a Professor guided us about our time-table and class rooms.
Our first period was of English. We want to the classroom and set on the benches. A Professor entered the room, the boys stood up greet him. He took our roll-call and entered the names of the students in his attitude register. He did not teach us but advised us about our future life. He stressed what we should not misuse the liberty here rather we should keep full use of the opportunity to achieve our end. Afterwards, we moved another room where our teacher in Arabic came. He delivered his lecture on the importance of Arabic language and advised us to come to the class with our books. Then there was no other period on that day. So, we want to the library and read some newspapers. We discussed the lecture of our teacher and decided to work very hard from the beginning to get through the examinations getting very good marks. Then we left the library, shook hands with one another and departed. I took a bus and reached my home. I found a considerable between the school life and that of college. I concluded that liberty or freedom must not be misused at all.
At the end of the first day, I returned home. When I was returning home, all the memories of my first day at College came to my mind. It was like a film. It had fun and fear. I remembered all the happenings and reached home with a smile. I had entered the college to gain knowledge and wisdom and to become a good citizen. Thanks, Almighty Allah I got what I wished. I wrote my memories in a special notebook.
In the end, I can say that college life is a beautiful blend of joys and memories. Right from my first day, every day spent in College was full of colorful events. Surely, College life is an ideal part of student life.
You may also like
Road Accident Essay | 1000 Words Essay on Road Accident
1000 Words Road Accident Essay for Class 5th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 2nd year for Students in English with...
Leave a Comment X
FSc ICS FA Quotes Intermediate Part 2 English Essays Quotations My First Impression of the college or My First Day at College
Fsc ics fa quotes intermediate part 2 english essays quotations my first impression of the college or my first day at college 2nd year notes online taleem ilm hub, quotations for essay, my first impression of the college or my first day at college.
1. Colleges are places where pebbles are polished and diamonds are dimmed. (Robert Green)
2. A college education should equip one to entertain three things: a friend, an idea and oneself. (Thomas Ehrlich)
3. Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself. (Chinese Proverb)
4. There is no substitute for hard work. ( Thomas A. Edison)
5. Life is not a bed of roses. You are supposed to work hard.
6. Pleasures refreshes you for hard work and not vice versa.
7. If you spoil yourself, you spoil the future of the country.
8. How beautiful is youth! how bright it gleams. With its illusions, aspirations and dreams! Book of Beginning, Story without End, Each maid a heroine, and each man a friend.
9. Good memories are lost jewels.
10. A college education shows how little people think.
11. We are not here to play, to dream, to drift.
12. Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet.
13. The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it.
14. Life in a college is more fun than a serious effort to get education.
15. Today is fool’s day believe nothing and trust no one… just like any other day.
16. Sweet memories are like the sweet-smelling flowers strewn on the strenuous path of life.
17. Strength, determination, challenges, and confidence counts your success.
18. Those who become mentally ill often have a history of chronic pain. (Gene Tierney)
19. What a beautiful chapter of a student’s life, college life is!
20. A new place and a new life with a new lifestyle.
21. There is no knowledge without college.
22. A college education shows a man how little other people know.
23. Memory is a poem without words.
24. Education is the ornament of human society as it refines and beautifies the human character and personality.
25. We were on the way of creating a beautiful chapter of life.
26. According to David Daiches: “The lesser number of classes to be attended and the freedom of the student to come and go meant a completely new kind of academic world.”
27. College life is that phase in one’s life when one learns the most important lessons in life.
28. The college years are the best time in a person’s life.
29. Every dark cloud has a silver lining. (J. Milton)
30. Pleasure is the flower that passes remembrance the lasting perfume.
31. The aim of the college education is to teach you to know a good man when you see one.
32. Colleges teach right to discipline and right discipline strengthens the heart.
33. Things taught in college are not education but means of education.
34. College is like a fountain of knowledge and the students are there to drink.
35. Memory is treasury and guardian of all the things.
36. I have never met a strong person with an easy past.
37. A college is a place where pebbles are polished.
38. Studies serve for delight, for ornaments, and for abilities.
39. Days of respite are golden days.
40. And solid learning never falls, without the verge of college walls.
41. You men think other men are fools but other men know you are the fools.
42. Don’t trust everything you see, even salt looks like sugar.
You might like
Post a comment, contact form.
FSc Notes & Essays
An educational blog published in your interest to brighten your future and to make you lead and succeed.
Search This Blog
- That the language should be simple, idiomatic, clear and straightforward.
- That the presentation of ideas should be easy and comprehension for the students concerned.
- That it covers a large number of topics so that with the suitable adjustment you could be used this content for various purposes.
- That the presentation of the website should be methodical and help the students to cultivate the habit of forming their own ideas with the help of given topics here.
My First Day at College Essay with English Quotation
"Good memories are lost jewels."
"A college education shows how little people think."
"We are not here to play, to dream, to drift. We have hard work to do and loads to lift."
"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through expereince of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired and succes achieved."
"The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it."
"Life in a college is more fun than a serious effort to get education."
"A college is a lighthouse which emits radiations of knowledge and wisdom."
"Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal."
If you’re looking for a great essay service then you should check out WritePaper.Info . A friend of mine asked them to write a whole dissertation for him and he said it turned out great! Afterwards I also ordered an essay from them and I was very happy with the work I got too.
thank u soooooooooo much
Its amazing thank 💜💜 Very helpful in my exams
Thanks alot 😊
Post a Comment
Related posts, my hobby (reading books) essay with english quotation for students, science in the service of humanity quotation essay.
My first day at college essay for 2nd year
My first day at college essay.
- My last day at college essay
- Examinations Essay with quotations
- Life in a big city Essay
- Courtesy Essay for 2nd year
- Patriotism Essay Outstanding version
- Role of Women in Society essay
- Benefits of science essay with quotations
- Education problems in Pakistan essay
- 2nd year Important English essays
- 2nd year important Urdu essays
- 2nd year notes
- 2nd year English notes complete
- College essays in English
Post a Comment
- All English Notes for 1st year class 11 pdf download
- 2nd Year English Complete Notes in PDF
- 1st year all subjects notes for FBISE and Punjab Boards pdf
- 9th class Urdu Notes PDF Download
- 2nd year all subjects notes PDF Download
- 2nd year pak study short questions notes pdf download
- Intermediate Part I English Book I notes complete question answers
- 2nd Year Part II Book II Questions Notes free PDF Download
- 2nd year tarjuma tul Quran book pdf download
- 1st year Islamiat complete Notes PDF Download
- Class 11 Total marks | FA, FSC, ICS, I.com
- BISE Hyderabad
- BISE Lahore
- bise rawalpindi
- BISE Sargodha
- how to pass
- Punjab Board
- Solved mcqs